Free instant messaging. No signal or mobile data required.
Internet of us (TM).
FireChat works even without an Internet connection or cellular phone coverage. Use it anywhere: planes, public transportation, cruise ships, campuses, and crowded events. All you need is a few other people around you using FireChat.
You will be automatically connected directly with one another, creating your own network for public and private communications. The more people use it, the bigger and faster your network becomes.
And when you do have access to a reliable Internet connection or cellular network, FireChat helps you reach people worldwide and build your audience faster than on any social network, for free.
Leaders of communities and organizations (news, cultural, humanitarian, sports...) love how quickly FireChat scales. FireChat helps them communicate instantly with large groups of people to achieve their goals.
Get FireChat now with a few friends and start something.
========= How does this work ? =========
FireChat creates a mesh network using Bluetooth and peer-to-peer WiFi. FireChat transmits messages and pictures offline between devices that are located within 200 feet of one another.
Thanks to FireChat’s innovative multi-hop and store-and-forward capabilities, FireChat users form a network that increases in size with the number of devices. It allows messages to hop from one device to the next in order to reach the recipient(s). This is why the more people use FireChat, the better and the larger the network becomes (unlike with cellular networks).
On the mesh network, messages are transmitted seamlessly from one device to the next in order to reach the recipient(s). When an Internet connection or cellular network is available, FireChat uses them to reach remote recipients.
Public messages are visible by anyone. Private messages are encrypted and can only be seen and read by the sender and the recipient(s).
========= Features =========
• Works even without any Internet connection, mobile phone coverage , or data plan
• Instantly send messages and photos to anyone around you
• Send private messages that only you and the recipient(s) can read thanks to end-to-end encryption
• Send private messages to a group (up to 50 people)
• Instantly create live chatrooms for discussions on any topic with a few people or as many as tens of thousands of simultaneous users
• Type a hashtag in any message to automatically create a new chatroom
• Public chatrooms and private messages work both offline and online
• Devices connect directly with one another within 200 feet of their location
• Multihop and store-and-forward technology create larger networks when several people use FireChat
• Works on iPhone, iPad and iPod touch
• FireChat is enhanced for iOS 9
FireChat has been featured by CNN, the BBC, the Wall Street Journal, the New York Times, USA Today, Time, and many more around the world.
FireChat is often used at live events - such as the visit of Pope Francis in the Philippines - and large festivals including SXSW where it received an Innovation Award.
Fixed licences in Third party notices.
Offline messages now enabled by default.
Minor bug fixes.
Ratings and Reviews
Chat with your group, even without an Internet connection.
Love the idea, great app
This is awesome. Using it on our cruise. We have international data plan, but on the ship this works great to keep in touch with everyone in our party.
I have not experienced any of the stability issues others have complained about.
Unfortunately, it has not worked offline for quite some time now. The idea of a bluetooth mesh or bluetooth peer-to-peer based messaging app has died now that it requires internet access. It appears as though it may ping me when others users are near, but my last at sea trip, it failed to send a single message to the person not more than 10ft away also with firechat. I fear developer has abandoned this app.
Lots of promise but falls short
FireChat have continued to fail its supporters and users with lack of development. Simply searching for someone on the app or network went from sifting through lots of results to zero results and not being to find anyone. I’ve used this app casually for many years and it gone from good to horrible. Why I stick with it is because of the promise, hopefully someone can take this project to it full potential. The developers and owners have lost all interest in this project from the signs of the development. I’m sure I could do a better job implementing new needed fractures and making this app sticky and usable. Sad :(
Every emergency disaster there is a great number of users but then they leave because this app is not modern and enough to use.
And simply finding your friends and family on here requires special tricks and know-how instead of a easy to use search box.
- Open Garden, Inc
- 79.9 MB
- Social Networking
- Requires iOS 8.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch.
- English, Albanian, Basque, Bulgarian, Catalan, Czech, Danish, Dutch, Esperanto, French, German, Hungarian, Icelandic, Italian, Japanese, Latvian, Portuguese, Russian, Simplified Chinese, Spanish, Traditional Chinese, Vietnamese
- Age Rating
- Rated 12+ for the following:
- Infrequent/Mild Alcohol, Tobacco, or Drug Use or References
- Infrequent/Mild Profanity or Crude Humor
- Infrequent/Mild Sexual Content and Nudity
- © Open Garden Inc.
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.