From the authors of the book, "Run Less, Run Faster", comes the companion iPhone app. Created by the internationally recognized Furman Institute of Running and Scientific Training (FIRST), this app outlines comprehensive training programs for 5K, 10K, half marathon and marathon runners.
To get started all you have to do is input a current race time and the app does the rest! The FIRST app is a great way to optimize training time with better performance. The FIRST app will help you get to the starting line stronger and healthier, no matter the race distance.
Training Programs Included
• 12-week 5K and 10K
• 16-week Half-Marathon, Marathon and Novice-Marathon
Training Week in a Nutshell
• 3 Key Runs each week including track repeats, tempo run and long run
• Each Key Run has distances and paces tailored to your current fitness level
• 2 cross-training workouts each week (choose from two cycling, a swimming and a rowing workout each week)
Treadmill Runners and Metric Units
• You can choose distances and paces in mph, kph, minutes per mile or minutes per kilometer.
Before you Buy
• The training paces are designed to improve your fitness level and running performances
• Appropriate for runners with 5K times between 15 and 40 minutes and 2:25 to 6:30 marathoners
• The 5K training plan assumes you have the ability to run 5 miles
• The 10K training plan assumes you have the ability to run 6 miles
• The Half Marathon training program assumes you can run 8 miles
• The Novice-Marathon training program assumes you can run 8 miles. The 16-week Novice-Marathon training program includes a long run of 20 miles.
• The Marathon training program assumes you can run 13 miles. The 16-week Marathon training program includes five 20 mile runs.
The three Key Runs – track repeats, tempo run and long run – are designed to work together to improve endurance, lactate-threshold running pace, and leg speed. These efficient and effective schedules have been researched and tested with runners of wide-ranging abilities. Having a portable app that allows runners to see their workouts on the fly is another time-saving feature of "Run Less, Run Faster".
The contents of this App are copyrighted with all rights reserved by Rodale Inc. No part of this App may be reproduced or transmitted in any form or by any means, electronic or mechanical, including photocopying, recording, or any other information storage and retrieval system, without the written permission of Rodale Inc.
- Fix issue with text sizes with Accessibility features enabled.
Ratings and Reviews
Great concept, doesn’t coincide with book
The reason I bought this app is due to the compelling testimonials regarding the FIRST program. Being that I got hooked on the book and began following the program for. Marathon, I noticed the constant crashing of the app every time I would update my times on the app. Also, the times and pages references does not coincide with the that of the latest book.
I then decided to follow the times as stated on the book vice the app; although I use the app more as a reference point and taking a glance at my upcoming workouts for the coming weeks. Other than that, I am sold on the FIRST program and look forward to running a better time on the Marathon with this program. I recommend making the small adjustments and ensuring book app running times match with that of the book.
Nice, but leaves some programs out
This app is a great, user-friendly version of all the tables in the RLRF book, which I’m getting started using. I plan to use the program for my next half and marathon. But for now I’m between races and I was hoping to use the 5K intermediate plan...and it’s not included, nor is the beginner plan. You’re pretty much out of luck using this app unless you’re no more than 16 weeks out from a race and you can run at least 5 miles already.
I have two main issues with this app. The first one is that it crashes every time I try to set it up. That is obviously the biggest of the issues. The second issue is that there’s no adjustability in the program. For a beginner there are multiple multiple 20 mile runs, which just doesn’t make sense if you are fairly new to marathon running or it’s your first one. There should be beginner intermediate and advanced plans and schedules. But there are not. I am Disappointed that I paid for this.
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.