Run Less Run Faster
By Catron Development LLC
Open iTunes to buy and download apps.
From the authors of the book, "Run Less, Run Faster", comes the companion iPhone app. Created by the internationally recognized Furman Institute of Running and Scientific Training (FIRST), this app outlines comprehensive training programs for 5K, 10K, half marathon and marathon runners.
To get started all you have to do is input a current race time and the app does the rest! The FIRST app is a great way to optimize training time with better performance. The FIRST app will help you get to the starting line stronger and healthier, no matter the race distance.
Training Programs Included
• 12-week 5K and 10K
• 16-week Half-Marathon, Marathon and Novice-Marathon
Training Week in a Nutshell
• 3 Key Runs each week including track repeats, tempo run and long run
• Each Key Run has distances and paces tailored to your current fitness level
• 2 cross-training workouts each week (choose from two cycling, a swimming and a rowing workout each week)
Treadmill Runners and Metric Units
• You can choose distances and paces in mph, kph, minutes per mile or minutes per kilometer.
Before you Buy
• The training paces are designed to improve your fitness level and running performances
• Appropriate for runners with 5K times between 15 and 40 minutes and 2:25 to 6:30 marathoners
• The 5K training plan assumes you have the ability to run 5 miles
• The 10K training plan assumes you have the ability to run 6 miles
• The Half Marathon training program assumes you can run 8 miles
• The Novice-Marathon training program assumes you can run 8 miles. The 16-week Novice-Marathon training program includes a long run of 20 miles.
• The Marathon training program assumes you can run 13 miles. The 16-week Marathon training program includes five 20 mile runs.
The three Key Runs – track repeats, tempo run and long run – are designed to work together to improve endurance, lactate-threshold running pace, and leg speed. These efficient and effective schedules have been researched and tested with runners of wide-ranging abilities. Having a portable app that allows runners to see their workouts on the fly is another time-saving feature of "Run Less, Run Faster".
The contents of this App are copyrighted with all rights reserved by Rodale Inc. No part of this App may be reproduced or transmitted in any form or by any means, electronic or mechanical, including photocopying, recording, or any other information storage and retrieval system, without the written permission of Rodale Inc.
What's New in Version 1.1.3
-Renamed for App Store guidelines
-Date issue fixed for several timezones which was causing weeks to start on Tuesdays.
Great app, very useful for the BEST training plan out there.
I would also like to see a summary screen that can be printed or emailed with all the weeks on one page. Would be helpful to pin up on the wall instead of constantly referencing the app. Either that or make the app more feedback/ goal oriented so it is worth referencing daily.
I was just sitting down to do all the math, cross referencing tables, etc. for an upcoming marathon and get everything entered into my calendar when it occurred to me "I wonder if there's an app for that?" Sure enough the new FIRST companion app. Great! Thanks! One thing I would add is support for populating the calendar and/or viewing in a calendar format, setting which days are run days, etc. Also it would be helpful if selected race goal times populated on the setup page for a given calculated 5k pace. This would avoid flipping back and forth between setup and main screens.
Seems like it's only half done
It's nice to have the training modules on my phone. But you cannot use this App without referencing the book. For example, none of the cross-training or strength exercises are in the program -- just a reference to a page in the book! If I wanted to carry the book everywhere , I wouldn't have paid for the app!!!!!
The paces are unreasonable
The app functions well but the paces it suggests aren't feasible. You put in your latest race time and it calculates your workouts. The first week it has you running 1 min/mile (or more) faster. It doesn't get any more reasonable as the plan goes on. I wish i could return it.
Customers Also Bought
- Category: Health & Fitness
- Updated: Apr 21, 2014
- Version: 1.1.3
- Size: 3.7 MB
- Language: English
- Seller: Catron Development LLC
- © 2012 Catron Development
Compatibility: Requires iOS 5.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch.