Fishes: Greater Caribbean
By Left Coast R&D, Inc
Open iTunes to buy and download apps.
An identification guide for the shore-fish fauna of the Caribbean and adjacent areas. This App is the second of a set of 3 portable identification guides for Apple touch-screen devices that will cover the regional shore-fish faunas of the three tropical American marine regions: the Tropical Eastern Pacific, the Greater Caribbean (Caribbean and adjacent areas), and Brazil.
This stand-alone app works independently of the internet.
• Complete English and Spanish interfaces. Connect to the Spanish interface by setting Spanish in the language preference of your device.
• Covers 1,599 species, with over 5,500 images to help identify them.
• A page for each species includes a detailed description (with information on its form, color, size, habitat and depth range), 1 or more species images (primarily photographs), key-features that distinguish it from similar species, a link to a page of similar species, and a map of its regional range.
• Browse among alphabetic lists of species and species-within-families, changing name-sorting between scientific and common (first or last) names.
• A search engine uses a combination of generic common names, location, and fish features (shape, color pattern and colors) to identify fishes.
• A glossary of scientific terms is linked to each species page.
•The notebook module allows (1) review of recently visited species pages, and (2) construction of lists that record observations about fishes. New lists can be assembled from scratch or by making blank copies of existing lists. Lists are organized in folders, and are downloadable by email.
Ideal app for divers
I have told every diver I know about this app. It is amazing for fish ID, with multiple photos, complex search parameters, and tons of info. Best of all it works offline! It's comparable to the Humann/DeLoach Reef Fish ID books--high praise. Thanks Smithsonian!
Great Fish ID app
Very useful and easy to carry unlike a book. Its comprehensive for the marine scientist and has both latin and common names so that anyone can use. The fish families help narrow down a search for that elusive critter!
The best and better than any book
This is by far the best fish app for the Caribbean. It is even better than the best reference books. An incredible resource. To think that people pay for others such as the Audubon guide when this is free!
- Category: Education
- Released: Oct 23, 2012
- Version: 1.0
- Size: 501 MB
- Languages: English, Spanish
- Seller: Left Coast R&D, Inc
- © Smithsonian Tropical Research Institute
Compatibility: Requires iOS 4.3 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch.