FitPlot layout & print of PDF and images
By Paolo Marcuccetti
Open the Mac App Store to buy and download apps.
FitPlot is a simple to use, yet powerful, Mac app for layout and prepress which makes easier the daily work with printers and plotters.
What FitPlot can do?
FitPlot extends the capabilities of your printer devices.
In FitPlot you can place, resize, rotate, duplicate, and much more, images and documents of all graphic types (tif, jpg, png, gif, psd, pdf, eps).
This is done quickly and accurately, right on the virtual paper on which you are going to print.
You can place images of the types listed above, also you can drop images or use the copy / paste directly into the FitPlot page (for example drag and drop from a browser or copy and paste elements from a graphic application).
Why to use FitPlot?
Because it is an application that is fast, practical and precise at the same time.
You can get immediately results achievable only with more expensive programs, and, unlike these, in a much more straight and intuitive way.
In addition FitPlot provides a set of specialized tools for every need:
• Quick and precise layout: of existing images / PDF or dragged / pasted images (from a browser or another graphic app), exact positioning, duplication, rotation, enlargements and reductions, aligning, batch operations and more…
• Packing / nesting of the images: you can fill images in the available space (in a sheet of given width and variable-length [roll] or in one or more sheets of fixed size).
• Merging of PDF elements: taking advantage of the transparency to white, characteristic of the PDF, you can merge, for example, a sheet of letterhead paper (PDF) with the raw text of a letter and export the resulting image in a new PDF to be sent for e-mail.
• Imposition: given a multipage PDF, you can arrange the pages on the canvas so that, after print, folding and trimming, you get a brochure fully paginated.
• Business Cards Imposition: you can easily impose a large number of business cards (or similar jobs) in a prepress layout, automatically composing front / back for you.
• One-click resize of images to standard sizes.
• Create posters of any size composing the pieces printed on single sheets, taking care of print margins and overlaps.
• Resizing scale drawings: you can translate a drawing scale into another easily. You can even determine the drawing scale just knowing one real dimension in the drawing.
• Last minute image retouch: raster images in a FitPlot document can be adjusted directly. You can adjust brightness, contrast, saturation, exposure, tinte and color space.
• Print log: FitPlot keeps a chronology (log) of print jobs it has performed. Each print is a (record) that keeps all is needed to quantify the job: page size, copies, date, inserted files, sheet coverage area.
• Color management: FitPlot gives you the control in the color flow chain that starts with the camera / scanner and concludes with the final print, including your display device in between.
• Lessons / examples showing the program usage are published on a dedicated YouTube channel:
What's New in Version 6.2.1
Just an update to fix a possible crash problem when sending PDFs to FitPlot from other applications [see http://fitplot.it/Resources/en.lproj/pgs/workflowPDF.htm].
Here's the news from the recent 6.2.0 version:
1. New command Trim Signs Control…: you can use this command to set up cut signs suitable for optical reading to be used with cutters Fotoba® Digitrim.
2. Units of measure: the unit mm (millimeters) has been added in the FitPlot main window.
3. Hook object along bounds: with the "snap on bounds" activated, you can move and hook images with Fotoba® markers (see point 1. above) between them, in way to overlap the shared trim marks.
4. Bug fixing. In this version several problems has been fixed, thanks to users feedback. We strongly invite you to collaborate by communicating problems, as well as ideas that may be included in future versions of FitPlot.
Useful, but could be better
This is a great price for a piece of software like this, but there’s definitely room for improvment. Nesting controls could be improved to be more user friendly. A simple pulldown for Fewer cuts / Less paper, etc, would be great instead of a pop out menu with a whole ton of text about algorithms, etc. It also doesn’t seem to automatically import the margin sizes from my paper presets, so those need to be set manually. It feels like the guts of the program are well in place, but that it just needs to be streamlined. sdfa
- Category: Graphics & Design
- Updated: Aug 22, 2017
- Version: 6.2.1
- Size: 21.2 MB
- Languages: English, Italian
- Seller: Paolo Marcuccetti
- © 2006 - 2017 Paolo Marcuccetti
Compatibility: OS X 10.10 or later, 64-bit processor