By Indragie Karunaratne
Open the Mac App Store to buy and download apps.
**PLEASE NOTE: Flamingo is no longer being maintained and will not be receiving updates in the future. See our blog for more details: http://blog.flamingo.im**
Flamingo is a beautiful, native instant messaging client for OS X that supports Hangouts/Gtalk and XMPP.
Important: As of April 30, 2015, Flamingo will no longer work with Facebook chat. This is due to Facebook shutting down their XMPP API. Read more about the change here: http://blog.flamingo.im/post/115085201650/facebook-shutting-down-xmpp-access-on-april-30th
• All-in-One design. Buddies, conversations, and chats in a single window.
• Multiple, detachable chats in a single window.
• Inline previews for images, videos, and tweets. Supports CloudApp, Droplr, Instagram, and YouTube.
• File transfer via direct connection (compatible with Messages, Adium, and other clients), CloudApp, and Droplr.
• Reply to messages right from the notification bubble in OS X 10.9.
• Full conversation history browser with fast message search and many filtering options.
NOTE: Due to service limitations, Flamingo does not support group, video, and audio chats in Hangouts/Gtalk, and MUC (Multi User Chat) for XMPP is not supported.
More information can be found at flamingo.im.
What's New in Version 1.3.2
- Fix crash when using the New Message pane (Command + N)
- Fix crash when loading new messages
Could be so good
The app is beautiful, and the functionality has most of what you’d want! Except:
-Sometimes crashes when resizing window
-Sometimes crashes for no reason at all
-As conversations go on, text stops lining up in the bubbles, making things impossible to read unless you reload
-When you cmd+tab over to the window, it starts typing in the search box for your contacts instead of the text box you had open.
Basically, so close to being great, but so so buggy. I check the app store almost every day hoping for an update to make this app would it could be.
Beautiful, buggy as hell
Beautiful application. Would love it, if it worked properly.
- Opening a new chat doesn't put focus on the chat recipient field (I end up typing names into my last conversation)
- Chat input field does this weird thing where it floats up while you're trying to type
- Lots of little annoying quirks.
Other than those glaring and persistent issues, it's great!
Crashes every day
I’m on El Capitan, and it crashes on me at least once a day. Works OK otherwise , though sometimes resizing the chat window makes everything go out of alignment and hard to read.