By Indragie Karunaratne
Open the Mac App Store to buy and download apps.
Flamingo is a beautiful, native instant messaging client for OS X that supports Hangouts/Gtalk, Facebook, and XMPP.
• All-in-One design. Buddies, conversations, and chats in a single window.
• Multiple, detachable chats in a single window.
• Inline previews for images, videos, and tweets. Supports CloudApp, Droplr, Instagram, and YouTube.
• File transfer via direct connection (compatible with Messages, Adium, and other clients), CloudApp, and Droplr.
• Reply to messages right from the notification bubble in OS X 10.9.
• Full conversation history browser with fast message search and many filtering options.
NOTE: Due to service limitations, Flamingo does not support group, video, and audio chats in Facebook or Hangouts/Gtalk, and MUC (Multi User Chat) for XMPP is not supported.
More information can be found at flamingo.im.
What's New in Version 1.1.1
• Fixed a UI bug in the unread messages popover on non-Retina displays
• Menu bar icon that shows typing status
• Unread messages popover when menu bar icon is clicked
• Setting to hide/show dock and menu bar icons
• Crash reporting
• Automatic reconnection
• Faster startup time
• Much better buddy list performance
• Lots of crash fixes
• Fix font changing when emoji text is pasted.
• Fix broken handling of Twitter photo URLs
• Fix names not being truncated properly in title bar
If you're enjoying Flamingo we'd greatly appreciate it if you took a moment to leave a review.
Jabber ocnfiguration doesn't work
Adding a Jabber account doesn't work (just sits spinning), and there are no configuration options for it.
Good start, not worth $10
I think the developers are off to a good start, however Flamingo still has a few issues:
- Switching in and out of full screen and opening chat windows causes some weird issues
- There’s a lack of keyboard shortcuts (close conversation)
- I’d love to see pinning a conversation to the top added
I don’t think it’s right to be charging $10 for this just yet.
No group *anything*
They state no group audio/video for Hangouts - no group IM either though.