By Indragie Karunaratne
Open the Mac App Store to buy and download apps.
Flamingo is a beautiful, native instant messaging client for OS X that supports Hangouts/Gtalk, Facebook, and XMPP.
• All-in-One design. Buddies, conversations, and chats in a single window.
• Multiple, detachable chats in a single window.
• Inline previews for images, videos, and tweets. Supports CloudApp, Droplr, Instagram, and YouTube.
• File transfer via direct connection (compatible with Messages, Adium, and other clients), CloudApp, and Droplr.
• Reply to messages right from the notification bubble in OS X 10.9.
• Full conversation history browser with fast message search and many filtering options.
NOTE: Due to service limitations, Flamingo does not support group, video, and audio chats in Facebook or Hangouts/Gtalk, and MUC (Multi User Chat) for XMPP is not supported.
More information can be found at flamingo.im.
What's New in Version 1.1.1
• Fixed a UI bug in the unread messages popover on non-Retina displays
• Menu bar icon that shows typing status
• Unread messages popover when menu bar icon is clicked
• Setting to hide/show dock and menu bar icons
• Crash reporting
• Automatic reconnection
• Faster startup time
• Much better buddy list performance
• Lots of crash fixes
• Fix font changing when emoji text is pasted.
• Fix broken handling of Twitter photo URLs
• Fix names not being truncated properly in title bar
If you're enjoying Flamingo we'd greatly appreciate it if you took a moment to leave a review.
Pretty solid after version 1.1
Beautiful design, this app has strong potential to finally replace Adium for me.
Until 1.1, the app was extremel slow and crashed enough to make it completely unusable. As of March 2014 it is MUCH faster and more stable and is living up to the promise! A few things that would make it even better:
- Pull in full chat histories when a conversation is loaded, not just histories from within Flamingo
- Searching contacts doesn’t yet cover offline facebook contacts, which is a bit funny. I should be able to send an FB message whether or not someone is “online”
- Sort contacts by importance or frequency of contact, not alphabetical
Good start, not worth $10
I think the developers are off to a good start, however Flamingo still has a few issues:
- Switching in and out of full screen and opening chat windows causes some weird issues
- There’s a lack of keyboard shortcuts (close conversation)
- I’d love to see pinning a conversation to the top added
I don’t think it’s right to be charging $10 for this just yet.
Jabber ocnfiguration doesn't work
Adding a Jabber account doesn't work (just sits spinning), and there are no configuration options for it.