A great and easy-to-use music notation editor on iOS. Flat is an app that let you create, edit, playback, print and export your sheet music and tabs. Cloud-based, you can also edit scores with your web browser and collaborate in real-time across devices with friends and colleagues.
Flat brings the following features among many others:
- Your music notation editor in your pocket with a clean and intuitive interface.
- Read and write music notation and guitar tabs, together.
- Real-time collaboration and offline edition if you lose your internet connection.
- Share online on Flat, or export to PDF, MIDI, and MusicXML.
- Print to AirPrint enabled printers.
- Over 100 instruments available, including Piano, keyboards, electric guitar, acoustic guitar, electric bass
- Quickly input notation with our touch piano and drum pads.
- Hundreds of music notations available in multiple toolbars: notes, articulations, dynamics, measures, texts, etc.
- An easy way to add chords with a useful autocompletion.
- Transpose by key, interval, and tone.
- Choose what part to display when working on your score, with Continuous and Page View.
- And much more…
Once you're done composing, share your composition with a worldwide community of more than 1 million composers. Or simply print it, export it to PDF, MIDI or MusicXML files.
Hello Flat Users!
We are pleased to release a new update coming with the MIDI and XML export feature. This version comes with performance and stability improvements as well as fixing the issue appearing on devices set with certain languages. We are deeply sorry about that. We are very grateful for all your feedback and suggestions, your involvement means a lot, please keep doing so!
Ratings and Reviews
Good for pop songs, not for symphonies
Let me preface this by saying that this is my favorite music software. It is easy to use and if you know your way around, it will give you what you want.
That said, if you write a piece that is too big(more than about 3 minutes or two instruments), you start experiencing problems.
Let’s talk about my 200 measure Acapella medley. For starters, it takes an average of three tries and 90 seconds to get all of my instruments on screen. It regularly refuses to scroll and leaps back to the beginning of the piece for no reason whatsoever. Playback is consistently scratchy past measure 180 and it is getting hard to put in new notes because the app apparently does not want to click where I want it to click. Copying and pasting is also becoming an issue, as it sometimes refuses to highlight and sometimes inserts measures smack in the middle of the phrase I was trying to paste.
Long story short, this is a great website and I recommend this to anyone writing music. But emphasis on WEBSITE. The online website only has one of the aforementioned problems (jumping to the beginning).
Please make this app more phone-friendly. Hugs and kisses.
Amazing, but it could be better...
I want to start off by saying this is one of my favorite apps out of all of the music making apps. It’s easy to learn and has a wide variety of sounds and beats! The search feature is also very useful.
Of course, like every app there are some bugs. Although they are very small and easy to get around, they are still in the way. One thing I really wish this app had was a way to input custom sounds, for effects. Like right now I’m trying to create my own marching band show, and in the beginning I would like to put thunderstorm sounds, but there is no option to.
Besides all of that this app is still very good, and I would highly recommend!
Developer Response ,
Thank you very much for the kind words! We would really appreciate if you could report us the bugs you're experiencing, under your settings you have the contact section where you can reach us at! Hopefully, next time, we can get you to write a 5 stars review 🤩
Very promising but too buggy to be usable
I spent about an hour with this app and was able to compose a four bar melody that I quite enjoyed. The two stars are primarily due to the app’s failure to save my score after merely backing out to the main menu and re-entering the score, but the composition interface, which is admirably ambitious and comes pretty close to achieving its goals, contained more bugs than I can remember:
- the delete note button regularly failed to do anything
- playback often continued after pressing stop
- when selecting an existing note, the keyboard regularly failed to highlight the correct keys. This was especially true with chords
- the keyboard doesn’t scroll far enough left to give you access to c2, though you can see it if you pull
- undo and redo sometimes did surprising things, though this may have been due to my lack of familiarity with the app and not an actual bug
- insert and shift subsequent notation right (this may be intentional)
- record and quantize
Would have rated 4 stars were it not for the bugs, and 5 if the UI were a bit less cluttered and a bit more intuitive p—but kudos for tackling a hard UI problem and doing it well!
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.