Flight Data Recorder Mobile
By LUIS GORDO
Open iTunes to buy and download apps.
>>> WHAT IS IT?
Flight Data Recorder (FDR) is an iPhone / iPad utility application for 'recording' your own data. As its name suggests, it mimics what an aircraft "black box" does, by recording position, altitude and attitude data, along with cockpit voice (cockpit voice recorder, CVR), such that complete information for a flight can be stored. A CVR records the conversation in the cockpit, and radio communications between the crew and air traffic control (ATC), as well as other ambient sounds (cockpit warnings, etc.).
>>> WHAT CAN I DO WITH IT?
The data generated by FDR can be imported into the Instructor Station program, and KML files can be exported, data plotted, PDF reports generated, etc.
The Instructor Station will playback any portion of your flight in 2D/3D, with simultaneous audio feed, to provide the ULTIMATE flight re-living experience!
Ever felt lost after an ATC instruction and wished you could hear it again? In flight, the FDR can also be used as a means to playback a past ATC transmission (Digital ATC Recorder feature), just like the Garmin G1000 can do.
>>> WHO IS THIS FOR?
Use of FDR in combination with the Instructor Station makes it IDEAL for:
Pilots - keep very detailed information of your flights, analyze interaction with ATC, re-fly any portion of your flight later on in the simulator or share with friends and family! Playback any ATC transmission again if needed.
Student pilots - review flight lessons (including audio!), and get more bang for your buck!
Flight Instructors - perfect tool to debrief your students with detail, on the ground.
Flight Schools - perfect tool to assess pilot progress and proficiency, instrument flight training, instrument proficiency tests, etc.
Discovery flights and flight tours - create the perfect giveaway for an experience that will always be remembered!
Airline Passengers willing to keep track of flights.
Anyone traveling or practicing sports.
Whether you're out flying, snowboarding, skiing, mountain biking, driving, running, hiking or whatever you're into, FDR is a solution for gathering real-time data on-the-go. The indexed data can then be used in conjunction with the Instructor Station (or with any other data processing program, like Excel) for post-analysis, to visualize your every move.
* Records in-flight DATA (speed, altitude, pitch, bank, ground speed, g-forces, vertical speed, true and magnetic headings, distance travelled, ...)
* Records in-flight AUDIO (input jack, Bluetooth and regular mic)
* Digital Clearance Recorder, to playback any past ATC transmission.
* Works in the background, so you can keep using your favorite apps while flying.
* Can start recording automatically (when reaching 15 knots or after timer elapsed).
* Can stop recording automatically (after maximum preset time).
* Can view Recent Track while on the move.
* Retrieve and listen to METARs (Speak-to-ME TAR engine):
- More than 35,000 airports recognized.
- Sourced from NCAR/FAA official weather.aero site.
- Can select a nautical mile range and receive nearest weather stations.
- Can play back all stations on the list or each one individually, once or on an indefinite loop.
- Optional automatic density altitude calculation, to incease aircraft performance awareness.
* Can send and share files via email.
* Can download files to computer via iTunes.
* Works seamlessly with Instructor Station, to deliver:
- Simultaneous audio and flight track playback (2D/3D in KML)
- Real-time visualization of data (speed, altitude, etc.) on plots.
- Generation of PDF reports
- Export KML files
- Approach vertical and horizontal plots
- Print color plots of data
NOTE: Continued use of GPS running in the background can dramatically decrease battery life. We recommend carrying a battery charger on board.
NOTE: The PIC (Pilot in Command) is always responsible for obtaining weather reports from official sites.
What's New in Version 1.14
- Solved bug where Location service was not available in previous version.