A simple and fun utility to record your flight for amateur pilots, hang-gliders and balloonists. Using your iPhone's built-in GPS or an external GPS unit, FlightRecorder will store both ground track and altitude, so you can see where you went.
* Choice of aeronautical units (nautical miles, knots, feet), metric or imperial.
* Secondary display shows altitude over time, altitude by distance, or speed over time.
* Map display is regular Apple maps with choice of satellite view - note that no special data is provided for aerodromes or airports.
* Records in background while the device is locked. (Continued use of GPS running in the background can dramatically decrease battery life).
NOTE: GPS does not function in ‘airplane’ mode, so in that mode this app will not record any position or altitude information. Flight Recorder is designed only for situations where regulations do not require airplane mode.
* Saved flights now include a location in the name, e.g. "London" or "Salt Lake City", if that can be derived from GPS data.
* Improved display of height graph at higher altitudes.
* Improved positioning of labels on route points.
Ratings and Reviews
Not just for flights
I actually use as a location / walking / travel journal because it includes an altimeter (compared to when I used to use Moves, which had no altimeter). I was looking for a Moves alternative where my tracking data doesn't get sent for data mining or sold. I like that the data is local on my phone. This is easy to use and I can use it to maps where I walk or travel.
The ability to show more or less of the map (vs. More or less of the altitude) is a cool feature. An even more cool feature is the ability to zoom in and out of the altitude graph over time (i.e. Across hours or drill down into minutes and across a few meters or hundreds).
- BRYAN BOREHAM
- 2.7 MB
- Requires iOS 8.2 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch.
- Age Rating
- Rated 4+
- This app may use your location even when it isn't open, which can decrease battery life.
- © 2012-2015 Bryan Boreham
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.