Visual feedback of the use of the Flutter ® VRP1 iOS (iPod, iPhone, iPad)
Many young people suffering from respiratory problems must perform daily physiotherapy with a Flutter medical device.
The Flutter ® VRP1 is a kind of plastic pipe fitted with a metal ball, which set in motion by the breath of the patient, produces vibrations that loosen the mucus.
Children with CF (Cystic fibrosis) are required to perform these exercises for at least 5 minutes 2-3 times each day. For young patients and their caregivers, these are tedious and discouraging exercises.
Researchers have looked for ways to introduce visual feedback and game dynamics into these exercises in order to increase their effectiveness and make the therapy less monotonous.
The idea is to make these exercises, still practiced at home, more playful and to improve the quality of breathing exercises.
* IPhone, iPad, or iPod touch. (IOs 4.0 or later)
* An headphones with microphone (included with iPhones)
* Glue pads, like UHU's patafix®
* A Flutter@ VRP1
* Detection of vibration frequencies of the Flutter ® using the library FLAPI
* Visual feedback corresponding to the frequencies of vibration.
* Audio feedback.
* Ability to create user profiles and create custom calibrations and settings.
* Visualization of results
* Ability to share results in HTML and CSV for spreadsheets.
* Gamification. For example, a volcano based game where a successful exercise causes an eruption.
* Available in English and French.
The software contains a single simple game. However, it has real utility for regular users of the Flutter®. The next step for the project is to gather the necessary feedback to improve future releases. The source code is completely open, and we are trying to make it simple for programmers around the world to help in the development.
This software is distributed under the LGPL and is free. The source code is available upon request or on github.com
Although used in a therapeutic context there is no medical guarantee for the software.
Defitech Foundation is not affiliated and has no contractual relationship with the company producing the Flutter@.
- Adaptations for iOS7
- Disabled the password query if it's empty
- Minor layout adaptations
- Some typo fixes.
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.