Get Rid of your Accent is a phenomenon. Eight years ago, we created an instant hit, the best-selling pronunciation book in the UK. This together with our second and third books make this the most popular books and CD package around. English teachers, students, actors, lawyers, brokers, businessmen, and diplomats have flourished with our help.
This toolkit is based on 17 lessons from our second book. You can get the best of our amazing lessons in one easy-to-use app that goes everywhere with you. Practice word pairs, amusing dialogues and colloquial expressions to sound like a native English speaker.
App Contents and Functionality
In the first part of "Fluency in English", we provide practical exercises for difficult speech patterns, such as word endings, consonant clusters, schwa, strong and weak forms of words.
The second part is devoted to connected speech patterns and helps you speak in phrases rather than separate words like beginners.
The third part deals with natural flow of speech, intonation and sentence stress. It will help you to make your speech easy and interesting to listen to.
Students can play audio tracks, listen, repeat, record themselves, and compare their pronunciation with the model.
Three things this app will help you with:
• Becoming fluent in English
• Developing English intonation and sentence rhythm
• Learning and practising idioms and colloquial expressions to sound more like a native English speaker
Our recommendations to fluency in English:
1. To sound more English we recommend that you download our first app "Get Rid of your Accent UK1" or for American English "American Accent Toolkit" to sort out your sounds. Because if your sounds are not clear people might not understand you.
2. The next step is to work on sentence stress, intonation and connected speech patterns to develop fluency. This app "Fluency in English" helps with these.
3. Finally, our "Public Speaking Skills" app will help with onomatopoeia, pauses, pace, pitch and power of your voice to help you sound interesting and for public speaking skills. This app is will be published by 8 October 2016.
About the authors
Linda James (RAM, Dip. Ed., IPD, LRAM)
Linda trained at the Royal Academy of Music and qualified as a teacher of Speech and Drama. She also holds an International Phonetics Diploma from London University.
Linda has had extensive experience as a dialect coach in TV, films and the theatre. For more than 20 years she has worked as a Speech Tutor at several London drama colleges and privately, specialising in the teaching of Received Pronunciation (RP) and the eradication of accents.
Olga Smith (BA in Linguistics, MBA)
Olga holds a degree in Linguistics and an MBA from Nottingham University. She is also an advanced public speaker and a holder of the Toastmaster bronze reward.
Olga learned a unique drama school method for Accent Reduction from top British phonetician Linda James. They together co-authored the UK bestselling books, “Get Rid of your Accent”, Part One, Part Two and Part Three.
Added links to companion apps.
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.