Tired of boring textbooks? FluentU brings language learning to life with real-world videos!
Learn Spanish, French, Mandarin Chinese, German, Japanese, English, Russian, Korean, and Italian with FluentU.
"Great app. To my knowledge the best on the market. You created something unique and new!"
- Felix Wedel
"It is more helpful than any other tool I've used. I had been using podcasts before and trying to make flashcards, and that worked pretty well. But, it ended up that I was spending more time making the flashcards than studying. FluentU really solves this."
- David Brown
"FluentU has quickly become one of my favorite language-learning tools. Great job on an aesthetically pleasing app and an incredibly functional one."
- Justin Price
"This concept in FluentU is amazing. It's such a great way to help you understand a spoken language and the way you break it down is amazing."
- Demi Pradolin
"This app is so fun and useful - the best Chinese language learning app I've ever used."
- Richard Jun
Learn a language with music videos, movie trailers, news, and inspiring talks.
No matter what your skill level or interest, we've got you covered.
FluentU turns fun videos into amazing language learning experiences.
FluentU premium is available as a monthly ($29.99 for Plus) or yearly subscription ($239.99 for Plus). If you enjoy FluentU, do nothing and your membership will automatically continue for as long as you choose to remain a member. You can easily cancel anytime, online, 24 hours a day. Just sign up to get started!
If you subscribe via iTunes: Payment will be charged to iTunes Account at confirmation of purchase. Subscription automatically renews unless auto-renew is turned off at least 24-hours before the end of the current period. Account will be charged for renewal within 24-hours prior to the end of the current period, and identify the cost of the renewal. Subscriptions may be managed by the user and auto-renewal may be turned off by going to the user's Account Settings after purchase. Any unused portion of a free trial period, if offered, will be forfeited when the user purchases a subscription to that publication, where applicable.
Bug fixes and performance improvements
Ratings and Reviews
Great if used correctly
This app gives you many advantages that others don’t, but it can feel overwhelming to beginners. A few tips:
1) Study the tones first. Train yourself to hear the tones and see if you can type the pinyin on your keyboard based on what you heard. Mimic the tones you hear. This app speaks them very slowly at first so you can hear the tone, then repeats it at a normal pace. DO NOT study with pinyin because you will use it like a crutch and it will really slow down your character recognition pace.
2) Do one playlist per day, don’t go crazy. Language learning isn’t a race, it’s not even a marathon; it’s a lifelong commitment. If you learn even 10 words per day and you learn them very well, then by the end of a year you will at least have basic conversational fluency. Learning 20, 30, 40 words per day will test your memorization ability, but it won’t improve your language skill.
3) Open your mouth! Repeat the words you hear in the exercises. If you’re not doing this, you’re skipping a very important exercise of these lessons. In the “audio” portions of the lessons, let it run and repeat a few times while repeating the words each time. They’re usually less than a minute, so it goes quick. Aim for 7-10 repeats before doing the quiz.
Loving it so far
I’ve only started with the app and have some basic Japanese from other apps and self study as well as a full version of Rosetta Stone. This has been by far the most user friendly. Rosetta Stone is brutal where FluentU is gentle and fun while still teaching you. The ability to see the kana, kanji and romaji is brilliant. Once you get your kana memorized well, you can turn off the romaji. I have high hopes for the long term of this app combined with formal college classes.
I don’t think any single app or class will get you to a competent level. It is the combination of several methods and live practice with a native speaker if possible will get you there. I see this as being a solid foundation to build off of.
Thank you so much for your kind words! We're so glad FluentU is working for you. :)
If you have further comments or questions, just let us know by shaking your device.
This is currently the most useful AND interesting Japanese learning app for me right now. If it weren’t for this app, I would be reading off song lyrics and short stories and translating them myself so it’s nice to have this app make things more convenient for you.
Price is a little steep compared to others. I wish they had a 6 month plan too. Also, would be good to have a way to request translation of certain videos that we like. For example, I really like the learning from the LINE OFFLINE series and would like to request more of it but there’s currently only 5 of them! :(
Anyway thanks for putting this together, team!
Thank you for your feedback! We're so glad you like it. If you want us to review some videos, to see if they qualify to be added to FluentU, you can shake your device and send us some links. We'd love to take a look. :) Keep in mind that we have strict criteria, but we'll take a look!
- FluentFlix Limited
- 142.5 MB
- Requires iOS 9.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch.
- English, Japanese, Korean, Spanish
- Age Rating
- Rated 12+ for the following:
- Infrequent/Mild Profanity or Crude Humor
- Infrequent/Mild Sexual Content and Nudity
- Infrequent/Mild Realistic Violence
- Infrequent/Mild Cartoon or Fantasy Violence
- © FluentFlix Limited
- In-App Purchases
- FluentU Plus $29.99
- FluentU Plus $239.99
- FluentU Plus $29.99
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.