Fluid Automata 1.1
By Angus Forbes
Open iTunes to buy and download apps.
*** Bugs are fixed. If you like it, please give a review (right now none for newest update). In this version the video saving is now in real-time and let's you record indefinitely!!! Great for performances, recording, etc. Also, it saves images correctly in landscape and portrait orientation. Turn off multitasking gestures to use five-fingered zoom & pan. Thank you for the feedback, if you notice any bugs please let us know and we will fix them! ***
Fluid Automata is an interactive visual art program that lets you manipulate a fluid system that is made up of colors, a photo, or a live stream of video from your front or back camera. By using one or multiple touches you control the direction and energy of the fluids. It's highly addictive and it's easy to make beautiful visualizations with Fluid Automata. See http://www.fluidautomata.com for more information and links to a gallery.
Indra and Arlo (ages 6 and 3) like it. Watch the video here: http://vimeo.com/31309323
Featured on www.creativeapplications.net and www.onedayoneapp.com.
"love this app!!!" - Film Fr3ak
"I honestly love it. The more I play, the more curious I get." - ipadpunk.com
Fluid Automata is a Universal Binary. It has been tested on iPad 4, iPad 3, and iPad mini and also the iPhone 4S and iPhone 5 with iOS 6. It probably will *not* work that well on earlier versions of the iPad or iPhone. It may work on the iPod touch - we tested on an older iPod Touch 4 and it was a bit slow. Some functionality is disabled on the iPhone versions (because of a lack of screen space).
Remember that you can toggle the sliders/toolbar on-and-off by double tapping the screen quickly in one place. This is especially important for iPhone and iTouch users because of the limited screen size.
Some videos showing the use of Fluid Automata and a recent performance that used Fluid Automata for visuals can be found at my vimeo page: http://vimeo.com/angusforbes
- Can be used in performances (without the UI) using the screen sharing mode (by plugging into a monitor or projector)
- Save screenshots to 768x1024 photo
- Save an entire session to a video
- Use front or back camera for live video manipulation
- Load in a photo of video for photo manipulation
- Choose from a variety of colored noise textures
- Toggle the controls off for full-screen mode
- Toggle them on to fine tune the colors or the fluid dynamics
- Can use OSC messages to control Fluid Automata via remote application OR register a remote app to respond to changes in the Fluid Automata fluid vectors. An example Processing sketch is available on the website to show you how to do this.
- Lots of presets included to make it easy to explore different types of turbulence and flow with different colors
- Children will find it entertaining-- it's a good way to encourage them to be creative without making a mess
- Supports multiple touch gestures for zooming and panning
- Tar Pit (high viscosity, low saturation)
- Milky Way (high angularity, low saturation, makes nice galaxy-like structures)
- Jupiter's Moons (rich, moody color scheme)
- Cubism (low forward momentum creates abstract segmentation)
- Ice Cream Cake (complex, vibrant color scheme)
- Kaleidoscope (high angularity, fluctuating rainbow colors)
- Watercolors (complex, fine color scheme, very beautiful, can get quite turbulent)
- Nebulae (subtle florescent colors, low contrast)
- Ice Cracks (low forward momentum and low angularity makes a cool effect)
- Infrared (subtle effect, looks good on certain photographs)
- Rainbow Sherbet (looks like melting sherbet)
- Propaganda (kind of a posterizing effect, looks good on some photographs)
Check out http://www.fluidautomata.com for more screenshots videos, and other materials.
What's New in Version 1.2
Adds Real-time video saving using CVOpenGLESTextureCache. Fixes minor issues in sending OSC messages over network. Adds the new Preset, "glassy", a couple of others too.
This was one of my earliest apps on my first iTouch but didn't make the cut when I upgraded. On a whim I was looking at old apps for inspiration and happened to notice that this had been updated fairly recently. It works beautifully on the iPod Touch 5th gen. It's mesmerizing but also artistically useful. Unfortunately, on my iPad 4, it just loads the splash screen then crashes. Too bad; I'd love to see this on a big screen.
I love this app, I,m an artist and appreciate all of its functions.
You can get lost in it, in a good way. Great for kids they love it.
Makes great videos.
it's cool because when you touch the screen the colors kind of move weirdly. 5 seconds later... okay that's really all it does...
i consider the 3 bucks i blew on this a donation to the cause of making sure nobody ever spends money on this incredibly lame app ever again. RUN AWAY
- Category: Entertainment
- Updated: Aug 15, 2013
- Version: 1.2
- Size: 14.0 MB
- Language: English
- Seller: Angus Forbes
- © 2011
Compatibility: Requires iOS 5.1 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch. This app is optimized for iPhone 5.