Fog of World
Open iTunes to buy and download apps.
Go around the world and remember everywhere you have been in your whole life journey!
Fog of World is a real-life game that you need to remove the fog on the map by exploring around the world. It's a fantastic way to find out where you have and haven't been in your lifetime.
○ This Fog of World App Might Be the Funnest App I’ve Seen in a Long Time
- Casey Chan, Gizmodo
○ We don't remember the last time we've run into an app that is as interesting as Fog of World
- Kevin Smith, Business Insider
○ Fog of World turns moving through your city and your world into a game of exploration (Rating: 8/10)
- Paula DuPont, AppStorm
○ Original worldwide location tracking game that will make you want to explore every street in your city and far wider (Rating: 92/100)
- LITTLE APP REVIEW
○ Fog of World uses the fog of war from videogames to gamify traveling
- The Awesomer
○ Was holding the 1st position for top stories on Hacker News!
- Hacker News (267 points, 154 comments. Sep. 30, 2012)
○ Top 10 Innovative New Apps Made in Taiwan
- Tech in Asia (Aug. 6, 2013)
- Record where you have been using GPS-enabled iOS devices
- Locations are also recorded when app is running in the background
- Fog covers where you haven't been on the map (just like the Fog of War in strategy games)
- Show the percentage of area your have explored around the world, around a continent, or even around a country
- Support for importing GPX and KML files
- Support for sync and backup through Dropbox
- Integrated with the Game Center
● Continued use of GPS running in the background can dramatically decrease battery life.
What's New in Version 1.7.6
* Shows app icon badge along notification when app crashed unexpectedly
* Improves some reverse geocoding results
* Improves support for KML file format
Awesome but never updated
This is a great app that makes it fun to go and explore new places. I wish that some app updates would come. The app has not been updated in over a year. There are a few improvements/features which I would love to see. 1) The ability to use miles instead of kilometers. 2) The ability to have areas that you "unfog" multiple times change color, so that certain colors mean you have been to the place several or many times. 3) More achievable challenges and/or achievements. For example things that you could do locally. Maybe explore a connected area totally 1 sq mile. Not just travel to another continent. 4) More social integration. Let me add comments or flags to places I love. I don't mean venues or restaurants necessarily. Just let me drop a flag and say something about the area to tell my friends or the world. 5) iPhone 6 and 6 Plus support
Overall, it's a joy to use as is, but some more work could make it fantastic.
Love this app, but needs updating
This is a fun app - interesting to see how little of the world you travel in. Very addictive, but has not been updated in a long time. The current version (over a year old) has some significant issues with iOS9.x, in that it messes up GPS information for other apps (such as Zombies, Run!) when it is recording. Also, Apple changed airplane mode in iOS8.4 and later, such that it doesn't turn off the GPS. Unfortunately I have now inadvertently recorded some paths of some of my flights in Fog of World, which I'd like to remove, as I don't think they're a fair reflection of places I've traveled, but the data are not editable. The developer's Facebook and Twitter accounts have been silent since early 2015, so I think there's no more development anymore. Not sure I'd recommend as a new purchase now, but I still enjoy it.
Fun! Addicting! Use it all the time
My newest hobby is to keep the app on whenever I travel to try to get more routes uncovered. It was a battery drain on my iPhone 4 but my iPhone 5 is much better at both the battery and GPS signal. I've asked for a GPS for my birthday just to keep a better track of where I have been!!
I wish it had a few more features like the ability to draw in areas somehow skipped by our phones, the ability to see others' maps, and more badges that we can acquire. I'm still waiting on the update because my trip to Russia still isn't included and technical support didn't know why.
Also, I've noticed that many people use the app when flying, and I consider that cheating because you're not really on the ground exploring. - but that's a personal opinion.
Customers Also Bought
- Category: Travel
- Updated: Jan 17, 2014
- Version: 1.7.6
- Size: 27.4 MB
- Languages: English, German, Japanese, Simplified Chinese, Traditional Chinese
- Seller: Ollix
- © 2014 Ollix
Compatibility: Requires iOS 6.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch.