Fog of World
Open iTunes to buy and download apps.
Go around the world and remember everywhere you have been in your whole life journey!
Fog of World is a real-life game that you need to remove the fog on the map by exploring around the world. It's a fantastic way to find out where you have and haven't been in your lifetime.
○ This Fog of World App Might Be the Funnest App I’ve Seen in a Long Time
- Casey Chan, Gizmodo
○ We don't remember the last time we've run into an app that is as interesting as Fog of World
- Kevin Smith, Business Insider
○ Fog of World turns moving through your city and your world into a game of exploration (Rating: 8/10)
- Paula DuPont, AppStorm
○ Original worldwide location tracking game that will make you want to explore every street in your city and far wider (Rating: 92/100)
- LITTLE APP REVIEW
○ Fog of World uses the fog of war from videogames to gamify traveling
- The Awesomer
○ Was holding the 1st position for top stories on Hacker News!
- Hacker News (267 points, 154 comments. Sep. 30, 2012)
○ Top 10 Innovative New Apps Made in Taiwan
- Tech in Asia (Aug. 6, 2013)
- Record where you have been using GPS-enabled iOS devices
- Locations are also recorded when app is running in the background
- Fog covers where you haven't been on the map (just like the Fog of War in strategy games)
- Show the percentage of area your have explored around the world, around a continent, or even around a country
- Support for importing GPX and KML files
- Support for sync and backup through Dropbox
- Integrated with the Game Center
● Continued use of GPS running in the background can dramatically decrease battery life.
What's New in Version 1.7.6
* Shows app icon badge along notification when app crashed unexpectedly
* Improves some reverse geocoding results
* Improves support for KML file format
Fun! Addicting! Use it all the time
My newest hobby is to keep the app on whenever I travel to try to get more routes uncovered. It was a battery drain on my iPhone 4 but my iPhone 5 is much better at both the battery and GPS signal. I've asked for a GPS for my birthday just to keep a better track of where I have been!!
I wish it had a few more features like the ability to draw in areas somehow skipped by our phones, the ability to see others' maps, and more badges that we can acquire. I'm still waiting on the update because my trip to Russia still isn't included and technical support didn't know why.
Also, I've noticed that many people use the app when flying, and I consider that cheating because you're not really on the ground exploring. - but that's a personal opinion.
What a Fun App for the Whole Family!
Purchased the app about a month or so ago and the entire family finds it wonderfully addicting. My kids are paying better attention to geography and where we are going/have been; my wife is reminding me to have either the app or GPS going when we travel; and I am taking new routes to work just to clear some more of the world.
The ability to easily download .gpx files from our GPS device has saved both battery and data usage (plus has allowed us to go up several levels much faster than had we used the phone alone).
Finally, I have been very impressed with the developer's responsiveness to questions about their app. Looking forward to Fog of World 2!
Brilliant, Fun Idea, With A Couple Pitfalls
This app is such a wonderful idea. I love being able to see where I've been, and it gives me a drive to explore, even in my own hometown. There's a completionist drive to unfogging large areas around you, which is exactly what draws me in. The only problems is that if I'm taking a long trip in a train or car, I notice large parts of the path don't register, and there are big holes in my trip. And perhaps the bigger pitfall, this app is a monster when I comes to draining battery. An unfortunate side effect, and I would leave it on all the time if it didn't consume this much juice. But problems aside, I thoroughly enjoy this app, and use it whenever I enter a new area. Bravo!
- Category: Travel
- Updated: Jan 17, 2014
- Version: 1.7.6
- Size: 27.4 MB
- Languages: English, German, Japanese, Simplified Chinese, Traditional Chinese
- Seller: Ollix
- © 2014 Ollix
Compatibility: Requires iOS 6.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch. This app is optimized for iPhone 5.