Fog of World
Open iTunes to buy and download apps.
Go around the world and remember everywhere you have been in your whole life journey!
Fog of World is a real-life game that you need to remove the fog on the map by exploring around the world. It's a fantastic way to find out where you have and haven't been in your lifetime.
○ This Fog of World App Might Be the Funnest App I’ve Seen in a Long Time
- Casey Chan, Gizmodo
○ We don't remember the last time we've run into an app that is as interesting as Fog of World
- Kevin Smith, Business Insider
○ Fog of World turns moving through your city and your world into a game of exploration (Rating: 8/10)
- Paula DuPont, AppStorm
○ Original worldwide location tracking game that will make you want to explore every street in your city and far wider (Rating: 92/100)
- LITTLE APP REVIEW
○ Fog of World uses the fog of war from videogames to gamify traveling
- The Awesomer
○ Was holding the 1st position for top stories on Hacker News!
- Hacker News (267 points, 154 comments. Sep. 30, 2012)
○ Top 10 Innovative New Apps Made in Taiwan
- Tech in Asia (Aug. 6, 2013)
- Record where you have been using GPS-enabled iOS devices
- Locations are also recorded when app is running in the background
- Fog covers where you haven't been on the map (just like the Fog of War in strategy games)
- Show the percentage of area your have explored around the world, around a continent, or even around a country
- Support for importing GPX and KML files
- Support for sync and backup through Dropbox
- Integrated with the Game Center
● Continued use of GPS running in the background can dramatically decrease battery life.
What's New in Version 1.7.6
* Shows app icon badge along notification when app crashed unexpectedly
* Improves some reverse geocoding results
* Improves support for KML file format
What a Fun App for the Whole Family!
Purchased the app about a month or so ago and the entire family finds it wonderfully addicting. My kids are paying better attention to geography and where we are going/have been; my wife is reminding me to have either the app or GPS going when we travel; and I am taking new routes to work just to clear some more of the world.
The ability to easily download .gpx files from our GPS device has saved both battery and data usage (plus has allowed us to go up several levels much faster than had we used the phone alone).
Finally, I have been very impressed with the developer's responsiveness to questions about their app. Looking forward to Fog of World 2!
Brilliant, Fun Idea, With A Couple Pitfalls
This app is such a wonderful idea. I love being able to see where I've been, and it gives me a drive to explore, even in my own hometown. There's a completionist drive to unfogging large areas around you, which is exactly what draws me in. The only problems is that if I'm taking a long trip in a train or car, I notice large parts of the path don't register, and there are big holes in my trip. And perhaps the bigger pitfall, this app is a monster when I comes to draining battery. An unfortunate side effect, and I would leave it on all the time if it didn't consume this much juice. But problems aside, I thoroughly enjoy this app, and use it whenever I enter a new area. Bravo!
Great idea for an app and fun to use. It makes you realize how much or little you see of the town or city you live in. Could be a good motivator to get out and explore the world around you and break your normal routine. Also helpful for retracing your steps if you can't remember where you found that awesome cafe, shop, restaurant etc.
Only problems are it definitely takes a chunk out of your battery life, so be prepared for that, and if you visit a new country, you'll need to purchase a data plan to track your progress there.
Customers Also Bought
- Category: Travel
- Updated: Jan 17, 2014
- Version: 1.7.6
- Size: 27.4 MB
- Languages: English, German, Japanese, Simplified Chinese, Traditional Chinese
- Seller: Ollix
- © 2014 Ollix
Compatibility: Requires iOS 6.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch. This app is optimized for iPhone 5.