By Brothers Roloff
Open the Mac App Store to buy and download apps.
Keep a copy of your project mirrored on an external drive or a file server. FolderWatch syncs your project while you work, making sure your copy stays up-to-date at all times. Simply have FolderWatch monitor a folder on your computer and then add, edit or delete files anywhere inside that folder. FolderWatch pushes those changes in real-time to the destination of your choosing.
*** Featured as Apple Staff Favorite in June 2011 ***
• File changes by FolderWatch are irreversible.
• FolderWatch is intended to make ONE-WAY BACKUPS ONLY. If you wish to sync across multiple computers or locations, use a product like iCloud, Dropbox, Google Drive or SkyDrive instead of FolderWatch.
• Rsync is an open-source sync engine that powers FolderWatch. We cannot provide customer support for Rsync.
• FolderWatch will not create a bootable backup drive as it cannot access the protected parts of your OS. Use a product like TimeMachine for backing up your entire computer.
• FolderWatch will not connect to servers. You must manually mount server volumes before it can access them.
• You may experience mixed or poor results under the following conditions: 1.) The size or number of files you have is large. 2.) The connection speed to your destination is slow. 3.) The filesystem of your drive is not HFS-Plus. 4.) The network protocol used to access file servers is not AFP.
Beautiful, Easy to Use
• Full Retina-display support.
• Harness the power of Rsync with a simple, drag & drop interface.
• Built-in visual user guide with integrated FAQ.
• Run FolderWatch in the background with the Menu Bar Helper.
• FolderWatch only copies files that have changed, saving you time and bandwidth.
• Let FolderWatch monitor and sync changes as they occur, or do it yourself on-demand.
• Ships with the newest version of Rsync*
Preserve Additional Layers of the Filesystem
• Mac OS meta data - icon previews, iPhoto packages, label colors, etc.
• Modification timestamps.
• Unix symbolic links can be copied or followed*
• A spinning indicator means FolderWatch is scanning for changes.
• A circular pie progress bar shows how many files FolderWatch has copied.
• See the number of files and data transferred when a sync completes.
• Growl notifications with optional sounds.
Comprehensive, Real-Time Logging
• All file changes performed by FolderWatch appear in the log as they happen.
• FolderWatch displays the differences it found when comparing your files.
• See the inner-workings of the app and how it queues synchronization tasks.
• See exactly which file paths FolderWatch is watching.
Works with the Finder
• Use FolderWatch to easily show or hide hidden files in the Finder*
• Manually refresh the file listing of a window if the Finder remains outdated*
• From FolderWatch, quickly jump to your source or destination folder in the Finder.
• Option to overwrite files that have newer modification times.
• Option to delete extra files in destination which are not in the source.
• Compare files by file size, modification time or checksum.
• Exclude certain file types, directories or individual files.
Tool for Rsync Experts
• Use the Sync Queue log to see how Rsync is being executed via the Terminal.
• You can copy the Terminal commands FolderWatch used to the clipboard.
• Enable log warnings to troubleshoot Rsync problems in the Recent Events log.
* To comply with Apple's sandboxing requirement in the future, these features are subject to change.
What's New in Version 2.0.5
• Fixed bugs with the Menu Bar Helper that were introduced in the previous release.
• Reduced file size of the app.
Great for doing limited sync to Dropbox, etc.
I was looking for a program on the Mac to do what SyncToy did on Windows, that is, allow me to sync folders on my computer but only certain file types within those folders. In my documents folder, I want the text data (pdf, doc, txt, rtf, etc.) sent to Dropbox so I can access it remotely and easily, but I didn't want to eat up all of my Dropbox space with giant files I wouldn't use, nor did I want to restructure the way I store my files to have "sync" and "non-sync" folders.
Folder watch lets you do just that. I exclude everything and then include only the file types I want. Works perfectly!
Great Tool - Wish it would do 2 way syncing
I’ve been looking for something that will allow me to keep my computer synced with my network drives, and then two redundant external hard drives synced with all of the above. This tool works really well. Great job Brothers Roloff!
Would love to see a 2 way option - with the same amount of simplicity that you’ve created with the 1 way option. All of the other options for acheiving this have a really terrible UI. Folderwatch is simple..
Syncing two local folders
I needed two features:
Live mirror two folders on my local file system
Detect edits in the source folder and replicate the changes to the target folder
There are more folder synchronization programs on the web than we need, the problem is when you are looking for something specific, its really amazing how many utilities lack these simple features. I cannot attest to this tools usfulness beyond this but it fills my needs perfectly.