Food Fight! - An Interactive Book by Glenn Melenhorst
By Jelly Biscuits
Open the Mac App Store to buy and download apps.
- "I truly enjoyed this original story. Food Fight! has a clever twist at the end and it was nice to read something fresh and fun."
- "...the most beautiful...children's book yet."
- “Great artwork and a twist in the tale will have young readers loving this book.”
Food fight is a wonderfully bright original story which tells the story of Tim, a boy from earth and Sammy, a sausage from somewhere else altogether. They meet and instantly dislike each other, but are they so different after all? As they work through their differences, Tim and Sammy deal with issues of one-sidedness, prejudgement, food intolerance and ultimately, conflict resolution all in a light heated, fun story.
Food Fight has been specially remastered by Jelly Biscuits using the original illustrations and text from Glenn Melenhorst’s popular children’s book, with Glenn's input and feedback at every step (and even his voice for the read mode!). The collaboration has created an interactive experience to delight both young and old.
From the author: ‘I have received so many wonderful responses to the book that I am thrilled to re-release it to a wider audience and a brand new batch of young readers. I always write foremost to please myself so I hope you get a kick out of reading 'Food Fight' to your youngsters.’
The interactivity in Food Fight is designed to enhance to story without getting in the way; to extend the exploration and entertainment of the story without obscuring the charm of the story itself. We've had fun making 'Food Fight' and are proud to bring you Glenn's wonderful book. We hope you enjoy reading and interacting with Food Fight!’
- 3D interactive page turns
- Interactive content on every page
- High quality sound and motion.
- Find the 5 hidden stars to unlock a bonus page - the hunt changes every time it is reset!
- Conversion and enhancement of a popular childrens book, with the author and developer working closely to bring the book to life.
- Over 80 interactive elements and sounds
- Studio recorded voice reading by the author of the book, Glenn Melenhorst, with word-by-word highlighting.
- Word by word narration - touch a word to have it read to you.
- Automatic page turn option to have the whole book read to you, or Reads As You Turn.
- Mini map for fast navigation through the book. Easily jump to any page (just click timmy's head), and control Read modes.
Not worth the money
Just purchased the book to read with my 2 year old daughter. Although a unique story, it was not altogether an engaging or particularly entertaining story. I didn't find the "twist" particularly interesting either. Very short read and did not keep me or my daughter entertained. I also expected a lot more interaction for a digital book. The "star search" was a feeble attempt at providing interaction and longevity to the app. Plus, having a sausage try to eat a boy is a slightly weird subject for children. On the plus side, the illustrations are very well done. I would highly recommend buying a real book over getting this app, plus you get to proofread them before purchasing them!
My kids really liked it
I was also pleasantly surprised to find it narrated by an Australian (but that's just me). Some people like their kids stories heavily sanitized, so if you object to the idea of a little boy who eats sausages being confronted by a sausage that eats little boys, skip this one.
The story is fun, the illustrations are gorgeous, the animations are totally cute.
This is one of the best apps I've downloaded yet for kids.
The options are great and allow the book to work for different aged kids:
read it to me/ read it myself
flip pages for me/ flip myself
the star hunt game is fun (and challenging)