Packaged foods can be surprisingly high in salt, saturated fat, added sugar and kilojoules/calories. FoodSwitch has a database of packaged foods to help you identify those that are better for you.
In three simple steps, FoodSwitch can help you towards better health by reducing the salt, fat and sugar in your diet:
1. Scan barcodes of packaged foods with your camera;
2. See simple nutrition information on the food you’ve scanned;
3. See similar foods that are healthier based on established nutrition criteria.
FoodSwitch comes with handy filters to suit different health needs:
- FoodSwitch Classic is for anyone looking to make generally healthier food choices.
- SaltSwitch has been designed to help people lower their salt intake and is great for people with, or being treated for, high blood pressure.
- GlutenSwitch is great for people with coeliac disease or a gluten intolerance who are looking for gluten-free products.
- You can view the nutrition information in two modes:
1. Health Star Ratings – shows the overall healthiness of a product from 0.5 to 5 stars; the higher the star rating, the healthier the food.
2. Traffic Light Labels – if a product is low (green), medium (amber) or high (red) for salt, sugar, fat and saturated fat;
- Save your healthy favourites on personalised lists.
- Help us track the food supply by sending us pictures of new foods.
Download the app today and find out for yourself why respected health organisations around the world like FoodSwitch!
FoodSwitch is owned and operated by The George Institute for Global Health.
For more information about FoodSwitch and answers to commonly asked questions, visit http://www.georgeinstitute.org/projects/foodswitch.
This release includes a big refresh of our data. FoodSwitch USA now has close to 270,000 USA food items.
Minor bug fixes.
Ratings and Reviews
No Products Listed
I have scanned some fairly basic items, including Pace salsa, Nutella and Rxbar, and none of them have been found. I certainly don’t mind helping but it seems like this is starting from scratch. Hopefully it will populate quickly and will prove useful.
Developer Response ,
Hi jumpstart68132, We have just released a new version of the FoodSwitch USA app (version 1.6). Please download this latest version and let us know if you are still facing these issues. We would love to hear your feedback.
The best app I’ve ever used in my life. I’m going to take a shower because I’m dripping with excitement!
- The George Institute for Global Health
- 117.4 MB
- Health & Fitness
Requires iOS 9.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch.
English, Traditional Chinese
- Age Rating
- Rated 4+
- © The George Institute for Global Health
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.