Footpath Route Planner - Running / Cycling / Hiking Maps
By Eric Wolfe
Open iTunes to buy and download apps.
Footpath lets you map routes in seconds.
Whether you prefer the simplicity of running or riding without a phone, forgot to record a GPS track, or want to plan out your next hike or race, Footpath allows you to map out your routes quicker and easier than ever before, all without GPS.
• Draw your route and watch it snap to roads and trails.
• Press and hold on the map to automatically calculate routes between points.
• No roads or trails nearby? No problem, just zoom in and draw your routes free-form by tapping the magnet.
• View elevation profiles for your routes to gauge difficulty.
• Share your routes via email, Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram.
Footpath Elite: Go the extra mile
• Available via in-app purchase
• Automatic syncing. Plan a route on your iPad and keep it on your iPhone for reference when you’re out.
• Save unlimited routes. Great for trips, logs, or planning out the week ahead.
• Want to change up the routine? Edit any of your saved routes to create new ones.
• Premium topo maps and enhanced snapping to trails: USGS Topo Maps (U.S. and Canada) and OpenStreetMap (Mapbox Outdoors, Mapbox Outdoors Satellite), OpenCycleMap, & Thunderforest Landscape. Great for the outdoors and areas not covered by Google Maps.
• Export your routes as GPX & KML files to your computer or other apps such as Google Earth, or share your routes to friends with Footpath via Airdrop or email.
• More advanced features to come!
• Try drawing your longer routes in multiple segments for better accuracy
• If you see a road or trail overlay on the map, it can usually be snapped to
• Try zooming in for more accuracy
• If you need to route between unconnected roads, connect them by temporarily turning off snapping
• Tap "Loop" to quickly calculate the quickest route back to the start
• Tap "Out & Back" to automatically trace your route back to the start
• Try switching to driving mode to ignore trails & footpaths or to use highways. Perfect for road trips.
• Calculate your routes offline by preloading the maps beforehand and drawing without snapping
• Import routes from other apps. Send a GPX file to your device and use the common “Open In…” menu to open the route right in Footpath.
Footpath is designed for runners, hikers, walkers, and cyclists, but can and has been used for everything from kayaking & swimming to deliveries, travel, & road trips—even to land planning.
Hit the road and forget about GPS.
For any issues or suggestions, feel free to contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org
What's New in Version 2.2.4
Fixes a crash when drawing a route on iOS 7 devices
Fantastic GPX route planning app
This app is absolutely fantastic for planning hikes. Even though we have used other online route apps, we've been looking for an easy to use route planning app for our phones that exports GPX route files for use with our favorite iPhone GPS software (GaiaGPS). Footpath does it seamlessly. We also upload the route files to fitness apps like RunKeeper where it tells us in advance how many calories our planned hikes will burn. Wonderful!
Suggested future updates: add the ability to import existing GPX route/track files for easy sharing and editing (this is Footpath's most glaring deficiency in our opinion--right now you can only export routes to other apps); make it possible to easily move starting and mid-points of a route you want to edit (right now you can only edit an existing route by deleting segments of the route starting at the end until you get to a fork or turn you want to explore and then continuing along a new path from there); and it would also be great if your routes were automatically saved to a personal account on a website maintained by Footpath so they could be more easily managed and exported to your favorite GPS and fitness apps.
All that said, Footpath is pretty awesome as is and has already benefited us greatly by giving us the ability to quickly and easily plan and execute our weekly hikes anywhere we are whenever we have a couple minutes. Thank you!
Plan Your Routes, Vary Routes, Vary Distance
This app is absolutely indispensable for runners who want plan their routes, whether it is to vary their routes but not their distance, or if they just want to map out new routes. This app has allowed me to map out several routes of varying distances (from 4 to 10 miles) without having to cover the same real estate twice. The mile is pretty accurate too, matching the distance of my Garmin Fenix 3 +\- .05 miles. If I could export routes to other apps, or enabled the app to give turn-by-turn directions over Bluetooth, this app would be that much more useful.
Could better or easier to use
Using this for biking I had to plot out like every 15 miles to make sure it kept on the bike trail system from Cincinnati to DC even though the trail covers about 75% of the ride. It was set to biking but loved putting me on interstates, or would just put a line through an area with nothing road or trail-like. It assumes I want to carry my bike and supplies across a river? And...where do I get the turn-by-turn directions? Looked at the Elite aspects to this and it didn't indicate it allows that feature.
After getting flustered with this for 3 hours I realized Google Maps allows you to search specifically for a bike trail between two points. *sigh*
- Category: Navigation
- Updated: Feb 24, 2016
- Version: 2.2.4
- Size: 28.6 MB
- Language: English
- Seller: Eric Wolfe
- ©2016 Eric Wolfe
Compatibility: Requires iOS 7.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch.
Top In-App Purchases
- Footpath Elite$4.99