Forward Chess is an Interactive reader of chess books. Play through the lines in the book, or try your own, it's like having a chess board and a chess book in the palm of your hand.
Forward Chess includes the ability to purchase over 100 chess eBooks through our In-App Store. Check it out. Our collection is growing weekly!
Forward Chess also contains the following subscription options
- ChessPublishing's monthly periodical for the latest in opening theory
- We offer a choice of 4 different auto-renewing subscriptions
- 1 Section for 1 Year @ $19.99 USD
- 3 Sections for 1 Year @ $39.99 USD
- 6 Sections for 1 Year @ $69.99 USD
- 12 Sections for 1 Year @ $99.99 USD
- Payment will be charged to iTunes Account at confirmation of purchase
- Subscription automatically renews unless auto-renew is turned off at least 24-hours before the end of the current period
- Account will be charged for renewal within 24-hours prior to the end of the current period, and identify the cost of the renewal
- Subscriptions may be managed by the user and auto-renewal may be turned off by going to the user's Account Settings after purchase
- No cancellation of the current subscription is allowed during active subscription period
- Any unused portion of a free trial period, if offered, will be forfeited when the user purchases a subscription to that publication.
iPhoneX and iOS 11 compatibility.
Ratings and Reviews
Has potential, needs more work
Apps like this have the potential to make reading a chess book way more convenient, because you can always see the current position.
This is a good start but it’s just a beginning, it needs more work.
As far as bugs are concerned, it does not remember correctly the location on the page when restarting the app. On a chapter with ~ 10 games, it’s not easy to find the place to continue.
Also, it loses the current position when double-tapping to go full screen (or return from full screen).
In terms of features, the main thing I miss is some kind of visual indication that there’s text to read after the current move. Imagine I watch the board and then tap the Next button to advance through the game. Unless I check the notation after every move (very distracting) I would miss the move comment. True, there’s a dialog for variations, but that’s not the same thing. Some commented moves don’t have variation. A change in color, some dot lighting up somewhere would mean a lot in terms of convenience.
Books are enjoyable but the app still needs improvement
I’ve used this this for a week now and the ability to follow variations while reading is excellent. However the app doesn’t open to my last read page or give me a bookmark so I can get back to where I was. So I’ll have to try and find where I was every time I get back in and that’s frustrating.
The best chess book app you could imagine!
This has it all: the book is digital, the games are there and a board pops up to play them over as your read the lessons and commentary. You can play the variations and then it goes right back to the game. And, best of all, you can hit a button and the powerful Stockfish chess engine starts running at the bottom of the page as you play through the games and variations!
Maybe the earlier reviewers had some previous version. These aren't scanned books, they have had every move of every game entered digitally so you can play them over as you read. And the lost of available chess books grows every week.
Yes, the books are not cheap, but you don't have to buy a board and set and play it as you read. So now you can study chess anywhere, anytime.
- WiTechnoME LLC
- 36.8 MB
- Requires iOS 9.3 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch.
- English, Arabic, Catalan, Czech, Danish, Dutch, Finnish, French, German, Greek, Hebrew, Hungarian, Indonesian, Italian, Japanese, Korean, Malay, Norwegian Bokmål, Polish, Portuguese, Romanian, Russian, Simplified Chinese, Slovak, Spanish, Swedish, Thai, Traditional Chinese, Turkish, Ukrainian, Vietnamese
- Age Rating
- Rated 4+
- © 2013-2017 ForwardChess
- In-App Purchases
- True Lies in Chess Free
- Chess Structures - A Grandmaster Guide $19.99
- Playing 1.e4 - Caro-Kann, 1...e5 and Minor Lines $19.99
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.