Swarm — by Foursquare
By Foursquare Labs, Inc.
Open iTunes to buy and download apps.
Swarm turns every day into a game! Earn prizes and compete with friends based on the places you go. See when your friends are hanging out nearby, so you never miss out on the fun!
• Check in to earn prizes, and compete with friends to see who’s having the best week on the leaderboard. Finish near the top to earn sweet bonuses!
• Think you’re a local? Then try to earn the title of “Mayor” at your favorite spots. But be careful, others will be coming for your crown.
• Keep track of where you’ve been and who you’ve hung out with. After you check in we’ll show you interesting little insights like: “That’s 5 weeks in a row at bars!” or “That’s your 25th time hanging out with Courtney!”
• Want to meet up with friends? Just open Swarm to see who’s hanging out nearby. Have a better idea? Quickly message your friends to make plans and meet up.
* A note on battery. We’ve spent years developing the location technology that powers Swarm, making it extremely power efficient. But, as with all apps of this type, continued use of GPS running in the background can dramatically decrease battery life.
What's New in Version 3.7
In this release we've streamlined and simplified the notifications tab into a single inbox. No more fiddling around to jump between messages and all those check-in likes. They're all now conveniently located in one place!
We'll be rolling it out over a few weeks so don't worry if you don't see it right away. And, as always, we've squashed some bugs and made some speed and stability improvements.
Ruined by Gamification
I use Foursquare very actively. Living in a big city, is a great tool for me to find new places to check out. For years I have also been checking in, both pre and post Swarm. But now I just can’t handle what this has become. I don’t care about coins or leaderboards, but they are so annoying and in your face they distract from actually using the app. For me, I don’t check-in as a game, it is the social aspect. I like to see where my friends are going regularly and sometimes it helps me find a new place. When I find a place on Foursquare I can see what friends have been there. Swarm is a tool that makes Foursquare better. It should be gamified to try to be its own thing. Getting constantly blasted in the face with coins has ruined the checking-in aspect of this platform. I will still use Foursquare actively for now, but can’t be bothered by Swarm anymore.
Constant iteration and improvement
I've been using foursquare consistently since 2009, and I was among the first 40,000 users. It's great to see some of my favorite gamification concepts return with the release of the latest build; it's also great to see the return of mayorships!
I regularly venture out to explore the world around me in an effort to earn yet another badge/sticker.
I have to applaud the team at Foursquare for working full stop by pushing out updates every couple of weeks. I now see that breaking the check-in experience out into its own app was the right move. It allows both users and devs to work together to focus on and improve the overall check-in experience.
This version of Swarm is the best yet, but what’s with the icon? It takes me back to 2012 in a bad way. It looks totally out of place amongst the other flat icons of iOS 8/9.
I'm looking forward to seeing the app evolve and improve over the coming weeks/months.
Take a walk down memory lane and discover a few of your old badges ;)
4Square Swarm is Good but could be Better
I have been using Foursquare for a long time and before Swarm started. I do like the concept and it is a great app to keep up with all your travels and needs! Swarm itself has a couple of issues that needs to be fixed. I have reported them several times but I have not seen any improvement on the issues. I try to keep up with likening all of my friends check-in's but after so many the app does weird things and it want let you do anymore. Every other day it will not let me check-in. All support will do is ask you to delete and reinstall the app. It works for some but it really hasn't worked for me. Fix a few things and I will give a better rating!
Customers Also Bought
- Category: Social Networking
- Updated: Jan 26, 2016
- Version: 3.7
- Size: 35.0 MB
- Apple Watch: Yes
- Languages: English, Catalan, French, German, Indonesian, Italian, Japanese, Korean, Portuguese, Russian, Spanish, Thai, Turkish
- Seller: Foursquare Labs, Inc.
- © foursquare
Compatibility: Requires iOS 8.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch.