Swarm by Foursquare
By Foursquare Labs, Inc.
Open iTunes to buy and download apps.
Swarm turns every day into a game! Earn prizes and compete with friends based on the places you go. See when your friends are hanging out nearby, so you never miss out on the fun!
• Check in to earn prizes, and compete with friends to see who’s having the best week on the leaderboard. Finish near the top to earn sweet bonuses!
• Think you’re a local? Then try to earn the title of “Mayor” at your favorite spots. But be careful, others will be coming for your crown.
• Keep track of where you’ve been and who you’ve hung out with. After you check in we’ll show you interesting little insights like: “That’s 5 weeks in a row at bars!” or “That’s your 25th time hanging out with Courtney!”
• Want to meet up with friends? Just open Swarm to see who’s hanging out nearby. Have a better idea? Quickly message your friends to make plans and meet up.
* A note on battery. We’ve spent years developing the location technology that powers Swarm, making it extremely power efficient. But, as with all apps of this type, continued use of GPS running in the background can dramatically decrease battery life.
What's New in Version 3.0
Wait for it… Wait for it…
• The leaderboard is back! Compete with your friends to see who’s having the most interesting week. Every check-in will earn you coins. You’ll get more coins when you check in with friends, become the Mayor, extend streaks… and more! Finish near the top of your leaderboard to earn sweet prizes. Remember, taunting your friends is encouraged... “O’Doyle Rules!”
• Messages and notifications have been combined into one easy to access inbox. In the words of Outkast, so fresh and so clean clean!
• Looking for your friends? We’ve combined the worldwide and nearby views into one “friends” tab. Keeping up and meeting up with friends just got a whole lot easier!
• And finally, we added a new “here now” section to the nearby view. At a packed restaurant, bumping club, or raucous sports stadium? Now you can see everyone who’s checked in with you. Man, this place is swarming!
Constant iteration and improvement
I've been using foursquare consistently since 2009, and I was among the first 40,000 users. It's great to see some of my favorite gamification concepts return with the release of the latest build; it's also great to see the return of mayorships!
I regularly venture out to explore the world around me in an effort to earn yet another badge/sticker.
I have to applaud the team at Foursquare for working full stop by pushing out updates every couple of weeks. I now see that breaking the check-in experience out into its own app was the right move. It allows both users and devs to work together to focus on and improve the overall check-in experience.
This version of Swarm is the best yet, but what’s with the icon? It takes me back to 2012 in a bad way. It looks totally out of place amongst the other flat icons of iOS 8/9.
I'm looking forward to seeing the app evolve and improve over the coming weeks/months.
Take a walk down memory lane and discover a few of your old badges ;)
I miss the good old days
I can't change my home city and I moved months ago? It's not in the edit profile option anymore. Did someone forget about it?
I also really don't like the new name of "swarm". I miss it being called "FourSquare" and the beautiful blue color scheme. I mean seriously who ever picks orange out of the crayon box and is happy about it?
I've been using this app everyday since Dec 2009 and its sad when I miss the old features of an application. That just shows your apps designers are not making good changes. The fact that I still have to use FourSquare but can't check in is also very annoying.
Improved app, great with friends
Swarm was originally Foursquare, but got upgraded and added many new features. The app shows which friends are nearby, and the companion Foursquare app shows reviews and helpful tips by your friends. The company listens to feedback and has slowly updated the app with mayorships (if you check in more than anyone you become crowned Mayor of the spot).
Customers Also Bought
- Category: Social Networking
- Updated: Aug 20, 2015
- Version: 3.0
- Size: 29.7 MB
- Apple Watch: Yes
- Languages: English, Catalan, French, German, Indonesian, Italian, Japanese, Korean, Portuguese, Russian, Spanish, Thai, Turkish
- Seller: Foursquare Labs, Inc.
- © foursquare
Compatibility: Requires iOS 7.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch. This app is optimized for iPhone 5 and iPhone 6.