The Freading application is for reading EPUB books and PDF books. The application was developed for users of the Freading Ebook Service.
The Freading (free reading) Ebook Service was developed by Library Ideas, LLC and is sold to libraries of all types around the world. End users are registered cardholders of participating libraries. Check with your local library for participation.
The end user should use their browser to navigate the library website, then download the book from a library website into this application. Once in the application, the EPUB or PDF book can be explored and read.
The Freading application is designed to lend full support for Adobe DRM and uses Adobe ID for Authentication.
The Freading application includes many features that you would expect for a good reading experience such as tap or swipe to turn pages, remembering the last page read, and selectable text size.
Updates for iOS 11
New layouts for iPhone X
Ratings and Reviews
One smalll problem
I've had pretty good luck with this app. I can down load books and read them quite well on my iPad Pro. I used the app successfully on my older iPad (2013) as well before I upgraded. I particularly like the ability to adjust the screen brightness by swiping up and down. There is one minor flaw that does drive me a little crazy though. After you look at the details of a book and go back to browsing, the app takes you to the top of the book list instead of where you left off. This means that you have to scroll down a page at a time as the app reloads all of the book cover images. If you've gone a ways down the list this can take a rather long time, plus half the time you can't find your spot. If would also be nice if it had the ability to enlarge the book cover images as they can be a little hard to read sometimes.
Does not work
Just downloaded it and boy is it a headache! Using it on my iPad Pro 10 inch next to my friend using the iPad mini. Issues with the app are as follows:
1) the bottom banner on the iPad Pro is in the middle of the screen - when I scroll, it just covers the content.
2) on the iPad mini, there is just a line in the middle - presumably from the same banner.
3) on both devices, we have yet to find how to download a book after reading the FAQ and clicking through the app like crazy.
4) Then we find out through rather vague wording in the FAQ we will probably have to manually move books over on a computer to the app... seems unnecessarily annoying - what’s the point of the app then?
5) also, when you first log into the app and add your library you are dropped on to a blank page so you have no idea what you should do and click along the bottom to find a screen with something. You’d think the user experience team would have figured out this was an issue...
6) the app LAGS horribly
Will be uninstalling.
Broken in iOS 12
iOS 12 seems to have broken Freading. In iOS 12 on the iPad mini 4, Freading no longer reopens to the page you were on, but instead goes to the start of the chapter. Similarly, all searches default to the start of the chapter. I have used Freading for years. Before this issue I would rate Freading as a 4+. It has all the features that I want in an epub reader except for the ability to set red on black type. (Red on black seems to maximize night vision without disrupting sleep cycles.)
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.