The Freading application is for reading EPUB books and PDF books. The application was developed for users of the Freading Ebook Service.
The Freading (free reading) Ebook Service was developed by Library Ideas, LLC and is sold to libraries of all types around the world. End users are registered cardholders of participating libraries. Check with your local library for participation.
The end user should use their browser to navigate the library website, then download the book from a library website into this application. Once in the application, the EPUB or PDF book can be explored and read.
The Freading application is designed to lend full support for Adobe DRM and uses Adobe ID for Authentication.
The Freading application includes many features that you would expect for a good reading experience such as tap or swipe to turn pages, remembering the last page read, and selectable text size.
Updates for iOS 11
New layouts for iPhone X
Ratings and Reviews
Good reader, flawed catalog
I truly enjoy using Freading to read ebooks, but there are two glaring problems with the catalog part of the app. These were cited over a year ago by another reviewer, but the developer hasn’t addressed them. First, either allow the book cover icons to be sized up or add the titles and authors to a text line under or above the icon. Even on my iPad Pro, some of the titles on the covers are completely unreadable. This is a simple fix and shouldn’t take much to implement. The second is that the app loses track of where you are in the list of books when you come back from looking at the book details. This is especially annoying when you’ve gone pages and pages down and now have to page back down again to find your spot. This is so time consuming that I generally have my browser up on GoodReads and look up the title there. This is not the way apps are supposed to work; the user experience is terrible. My library also has Libby which has its own quirks, but suffers from none of these flaws and is much, much more useable.
Now fixed and excellent reader
The quirks that initially showed up in iOS 12 seem to have been fixed. Freading is an excellent epub reader with almost all of the features I look for: Easy downloading of epub library books, a wide variety of font sizes and colors, and adjustable line spacing and margins. It can be set for red print on black, for night reading without any sleep disrupting blue light. The only feature missing is text that can be read by voice over or other accessibility voices.
The swipe-up-and-down for brightness is great, but be aware that n some odd cases the book pages appear to be blank until you swipe up.
Does not work
Just downloaded it and boy is it a headache! Using it on my iPad Pro 10 inch next to my friend using the iPad mini. Issues with the app are as follows:
1) the bottom banner on the iPad Pro is in the middle of the screen - when I scroll, it just covers the content.
2) on the iPad mini, there is just a line in the middle - presumably from the same banner.
3) on both devices, we have yet to find how to download a book after reading the FAQ and clicking through the app like crazy.
4) Then we find out through rather vague wording in the FAQ we will probably have to manually move books over on a computer to the app... seems unnecessarily annoying - what’s the point of the app then?
5) also, when you first log into the app and add your library you are dropped on to a blank page so you have no idea what you should do and click along the bottom to find a screen with something. You’d think the user experience team would have figured out this was an issue...
6) the app LAGS horribly
Will be uninstalling.
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.