French English Dictionary + Freemium
By Ascendo Inc.
Open iTunes to buy and download apps.
The #1 Free French English Dictionary for iPhone, iPad & iPod Touch (Freemium Version) - Offline Dictionary with Comprehensive Entries - Phrasebook - Verb Conjugator - Vocabulary Quizzes - Offline Audio Pronunciation - Universal Application
Selected by Apple as "What's Hot" in over 40 countries.
“This app packs an undeniable allure for travelers.” - iPhone App Review
* * * * * “This app is a godsend! I love that it has a fairly large standard dictionary, verbs, phrases, AND pronunciations!”
* * * * * “My students are ditching their books for iPads so I looked at apps and web sites with quality material. This is the app I recommend.”
* * * * * “Great for Travel. Very helpful to find words and phrases without an internet connection.”
* * * * * “Great App! I've tried several apps… this is the best one I found so far. After trying the free version, I purchased the Extended Dictionary and Phrasebook.”
* * * * * “Very helpful. This has been an extremely useful app as I prepare for a language exam and review verb conjugations.”
French English Dictionary + by VidaLingua transforms your iPhone, iPad or iPod Touch into an advanced language translator, always ready to help. This Free version is a good starting point to learn a language. It includes features you won’t find anywhere else such as adding notes and images to dictionary entries. In-app purchases (IAPs) extend the dictionary, phrasebook and verb conjugator making VidaLingua the most comprehensive French English Dictionary for iPhone, iPad and iPod Touch. Download it now and start learning French or English today!
- French English Dictionary with over 121,000 offline entries, over 727,000 with IAP.
- Includes translations, usage examples, parts-of-speech and gender of French nouns.
- Compiled and updated by professional linguists.
- Online images for thousands of dictionary entries, tap icon to display.
- Phrasebook with 20 categories such as Conversation, Asking Directions and Making Friends.
- Conjugations of 1,444 French & English verbs or 6,438 verbs with IAP.
- Multiple-choice vocabulary quizzes.
- Offline, text-to-speech pronunciation in French & English.
- Audio settings for speed and accent (US, UK, Australia).
- Single index search for fast lookups in French or English.
- Reverse lookup of words found in translations.
- Online lookup of additional information with IAP.
- Lookup History.
- Add your own phrases to the phrasebook.
- Email dictionary entries to friends.
- Numerous enhancements for iPads.
- Add notes and images to dictionary entries.
- Record yourself saying a word and compare it with in-app pronunciation.
Language is living! Only VidaLingua allows you to add notes, images, phrases and audio to create an engaging learning companion.
Comments & questions are welcome.
VidaLingua, bringing language apps to life! ©
VidaLingua is an Ascendo brand.
Tags : dictionnaire, anglais, français, traduction, traducteur, phrases, conjugaison, verbes
What's New in Version 6.2.71
- Added thousands of entries to dictionary including complete sentences in addition to compound forms.
- Included contemporary words like "selfie", "fracking" and "hashtag" that you won't find in other dictionaries.
- Improved availability of online images for numerous dictionary words. If online image is available an icon will appear beneath the Examples section.
- Integrated phrasebook with dictionary so phrases appear in the Examples sections of dictionary (premium versions).
- Localized user interface for French.
- Implemented alert if user taps word to hear pronunciation and speaker is turned off.
- Improved display of multi-line phrases added to My Phrases category of Phrasebook.
- Improved Suggest Improvement link at bottom of dictionary pages.
- Other bug fixes and enhancements.
If you like free updates, please review our app!
It's garbage for pronunciation, which is what I was most interested in. I'm not even talking about the bug where you have to flip the high quality voice switch off for it to work. My main problem is the tempo. They give you the option to slow down the pronunciation files (which is really nice) but even at the slowest speed, it's way too fast (extremely frustrating). The English pronunciation files also play very fast when set to the slowest speed. I speak 3 langs beyond college level and was still frustrated and disappointed with this App. I gave it 3 stars because it's free, the dict is decent and the content and sections are good (of course, the dict could have more entries!).
If this was Japanese/Spanish/Italian etc, where the pronunciations are simple this app would fly; unfortunately, you just cannot get a critical part (pronunciation)of this language wrong when developing/producing an app for it. Fatal error... I uninstalled.
Great definitions, great reference... needs a little work
This dictionary is so complete - and is one of the only ones I've downloaded that has definitions that my french friends tell me about, but other apps don't display. It does a great job of making things easy for learners of french by putting things like gender, alternate spellings, and conjugation in easy reach. Other apps seem to miss this simple idea and make it more difficult to find the feminine spelling, or the conjugations even.
The app still needs work, and hopefully the team will be willing to update it frequently enough to put some features that are needed. Features such as:
- Putting english translations of conjugations next to french conjugations. The difference between perfect and past participles are hard to remember... maybe even just a reference to what each means, without relation to the verb itself.
- Fixing of the pronounciation method. I don't have any paid part of this app, so maybe it adds pronunciation, but as of now the feature doesn't work on my phone. I touch a word, the screen freezes, and no sound comes out. I'm pretty sure I need to hear something there
- it'd be nice to have a 'favorite words' feature.
If learning pronunciation is your goal, this app is not for you.
My biggest complaint would be the pronunciation feature, for two reasons. 1) when I come across a new French word, I search for it to learn the meaning and the pronunciation. However, it doesn't allow you to click the word you searched, it only allows you to click on the English words, but I clearly know how to pronounce those. The searched word should 100% be clickable for pronunciation, that's the most important part. 2) the pronunciation feature doesn't even work for the other words. I've reached out to them twice now and never received a response. I finally just downloaded "Bravolol" and it is already leagues better. Don't waste your time on this if pronunciation is key.
Customers Also Bought
- Category: Education
- Updated: Aug 13, 2014
- Version: 6.2.71
- Size: 20.3 MB
- Languages: English, French, German, Italian, Portuguese, Spanish
- Seller: Ascendo Inc.
- © Ascendo Inc.
Compatibility: Requires iOS 6.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch.
Top In-App Purchases
- Extended Dictionary$4.99
- Extended Phrase Book$2.99
- Extended Verb Conjugator$2.99