Free Graphing Calculator - PocketCAS lite
By Thomas Osthege und Daniel Alm
Open iTunes to buy and download apps.
PocketCAS is the most advanced mathematics application for iPhone and iPad. It can help you with any kind of math problem, from elementary school all the way up to calculus, algebra and statistics. It can replace your old graphing calculator, help you with your homework, and assist you in any kind of calculation for university or work.
This app is an indispensable tool for every student, teacher and engineer. It makes college-level calculus and algebra easy and can help you in a wide range of cases. It provides features comparable with a TI-89 calculator and combines them with a modern, intuitive interface and incredible graphics capabilities.
- 2D Plots: Quickly create 2D cartesian, implicit, polar or parametric plots.
- 3D Plots: PocketCAS draws stunning 3D plots!
- Calculus: Calculate limits, derivatives, integrals and taylor expansions.
- Linear Algebra: Invert and multiply matrices or calculate determinants, eigenvalues and much more!
- Algebra: Perform integer and polynomial factorization and division, use permutations, and more.
- Solving: PocketCAS will solve almost any equation for you. It even supports systems of linear equations and ordinary differential equations!
- Scripting: PocketCAS' C-style scripting language allows you to define custom functions, use conditional expressions, loops and also supports recursion.
- Physical Units: Constants and units are provided out of the box. Simply enter physical formulas with the corresponding units and convert results to the units you prefer.
- iCloud support: Sync documents between your Mac, iPhone and iPad!
- Export: Print or export plots, entries or the whole document as PDF!
- Mathematical keyboard: PocketCAS' mathematical keyboard is unmatched on the App Store.
- Help: All functions are explained in the built-in reference. If you're stuck, there's plenty of tutorials as well as a manual (http://pocketcas.com/manual) to get you going. And you can always contact our support (http://pocketcas.com/support) for help!
- Offline computation: PocketCAS doesn't need an internet connection to calculate results.
LIMITATIONS OF THE LITE VERSION
PocketCAS lite is a free version of PocketCAS that will allow you to try out the interface and many features before buying PocketCAS pro.
It has the following limitations:
- Many advanced mathematical functions (e.g. integration, taylor expansion, eigenvalues, etc.) are unavailable.
- It will plot only one function at a time.
- Exported graphics will be watermarked.
The full functionality is available in PocketCAS pro.
"This program has an incredible amount of power for such a compact program. I teach high school math, and this program can work with all sorts of expressions, graphs, and help check my work. Definitely worth it!"
"I am 8 years old and this App is awesome! It helps you learn calculus quickly. It's a work of art!"
"One of three Apps I use when teaching A Level maths. Have recommended to numerous students. Excellent."
"This is one of the best. The CAS capabilities are compatible to only two other apps, and this one is all offline and includes countless additional features. It's never steered me wrong and is the first thing I go to when I'm in a hurry to figure something out. If you're a student this is pretty much as good as it can get."
"You will love this calculator. It's powerful to calculate everything, doesn't matter you're a high school student or college student. Specially for the people who like to solve problems with graphs!"
"This app is so powerful and slick looking. It is totally amazing and what it can do."
What's New in Version 3.8.1
Thank you for all the great reviews for version 3.8! As this is another update, could you please quickly post them again? That way they show up for the latest version which really helps with visibility on the App Store. Thanks a ton!
We have a few bug fixes for version 3.8 in this update:
Bugfix: The system keyboard shows up again in the 'Tools' menu of the iPhone version. Protip: You can show that keyboard more quickly by just swiping up with one finger on the PocketCAS keyboard.
Bugfix: Fixed the cursor jumping when typing at the beginning of very long entries.
Bugfix: Fixed a crash when deleting the "X/Y Precision" fields in the 3D plot settings.
Also, we have two responses to reviews for version 3.8. We can't respond to reviews directly, so we will post them here:
1. PocketCAS does _not_ require iCloud. You can use the app just fine without it. Only two minor features that are most useful to power users (subfolders and CSV import) who would probably enable iCloud anyway require it.
2. About "New Entry" mode being like writing a script: You can just enter a single line, press 'Calculate' and get the answer. How is this different from other CAS calculators? If you want an answer for other calculations, just create another new entry and calculate that separately - again, just like in other CAS calculators. If we are missing something, please send us an email via the app's support function and let us know!
Version 3.8 is one of the largest updates to PocketCAS to date, with more than 300 changes to the codebase. We hope you enjoy it!
New Feature: Support for split screen multitasking and iPad Pro! Sorry for the delay, but we had to reorganize quite a few things to support e.g. "small" mode in split screen mode. But it's finally here!
New Feature: Plot defaults. You can now change the default settings for plots in the menu (or in the app preferences on the Mac).
New Feature: Importing variables. You can now create new "Import Document" entries that will load all variables from the document you specify. This lets you e.g. create a "function library" that can be shared by multiple other documents.
New Feature: CSV Import (requires iCloud Drive). You can now load CSV files into variables to process them. See the new tutorial for an example.
New Feature: "Chaining" entries. You can now append "//!next" to the end of an entry to automatically recalculate the following one when the current one gets changes. (See the Scripting tutorial for an example.)
New Feature: Subfolders for documents. A few caveats: This only works with iCloud Drive enabled in PocketCAS and you have to manually create subfolders in the "iCloud Drive" app on your device.
Improvement: Documents, PDFs and images can now also be exported to other apps (not only via email).
Improvement: Improved the accuracy of drawing implicit plots (e.g. circles) when zooming in very far.
Improvement: You can now view the text editor's hotkeys by pressing and holding the Cmd button on Bluetooth keyboards.
Improvement: PocketCAS now supports Shared iPad for schools.
Improvement: Added planes and lines to the 3D plot tutorial.
Improvement: Even when a document causes the app to crash, it should not get stuck in a crash loop anymore.
Bugfix: Speaking of crashes, we fixed several possible crashes and other bugs. Let us know in case you still encounter problems!
Way better than the iPhone calculator
This is a pretty advanced little calculator. The interface is admittedly a little clunky, but it is able to perform most functions my ti inspire cas can. If you find yourself in need of a calculator without a real one on hand, this one is your best bet.
- Category: Education
- Updated: Apr 11, 2016
- Version: 3.8.1
- Size: 31.7 MB
- Languages: English, French, German
- Seller: Thomas Osthege und Daniel Alm
- © 2015 Daniel Alm
Compatibility: Requires iOS 8.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch.