Virtual inline MIDI event mapper for iOS
FreEWI (pronounced free-wee) was designed as a free add-on for MidiBridge for EWI players, but can be used by anyone who needs to map MIDI events between apps. For mapping to/from external MIDI interfaces (or CoreMIDI network), MidiBridge is required.
Using FreEWI inline in a MIDI event stream, events can be processed as follows:
- Remap incoming MIDI channels to a different channel
- Remap incoming controller messages to a different controller
- Translate incoming controller messages to channel pressure (aftertouch)
- Remap incoming program change messages to a different number
- Transpose incoming note events up or down
Although primarily designed for use with MidiBridge, FreEWI can be used with other apps that have CoreMIDI virtual support. In order for another app to be compatible, the following applies:
- Generating app must be able to write to FreEWI's virtual MIDI port.
- Receiving app must be able to read from FreEWI's virtual MIDI port
- Generator and receiver can be same app
FreEWI supports fast switching to and from MidiBridge, so you can fast-switch/launch MidiBridge from FreEWI and vice-versa. Other OMAC apps that support fast-switching will also be able to fast-switch to FreEWI.
FreEWI does add a small amount of latency which varies depending upon the speed of the device and how busy the device is. Runs on iPad, iPhone and iPod Touch and requires iOS 5.1 or greater.
64 bit support
Ratings and Reviews
Love this app & Thank you very much for the much needed update 🙂
Solution to Virtual Midi Problems
FreEWI allows me to me to send virtual midi through my favorite apps which otherwise fail to communicate properly. While Midibridge is also an excellent solution with many more control features, I find FreEWI to be very capable, fast, automatic, and light on CPU resources. It's a great utility that provides an excellent solution to a common problem. Along with Midibridge, highly recommended.
Very useful event mapping app
Though some midi synth apps support breath controller (midi cc 2) most of them don't, so of you want to try using your EWI with iPhone/iPad without re-configuring the horn all the time, this is a great way to go----and it's free. Thanks!
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.