By Lost Pixel
Open iTunes to buy and download apps.
NOW WITH BETTER CONTROLS:
Frogatto is a classic-style 2d adventure game, starring a certain quixotic frog. It's made by the same team that brought you Battle for Wesnoth, and features the same handcrafted love of high-end pixel art. Frogatto is a side-on "platformer" or "jump and run" game, where you lead our titular character on a humdrum errand that turns into a daring adventure.
Frogatto's key mechanic is an unusual twist; like any frog, he jumps, swims, and snags bugs with his tongue, but unlike any frog before him, can spit those bugs out with deadly force. Not merely an action game, frogatto is a full, classic adventure game, with characters to talk to, things to buy, puzzles to solve, and a wide, complex world to explore.
- grab enemies with your tongue and spit them to deal damage
- buy powerups to enhance and unlock new abilities
- arcade mode, giving instant access to action-only gameplay on randomized levels
- forgiving savegame/respawn system so you don't have to be afraid of losing progress
- playful dialogue writing that tries not to insult your intelligence
- massive soundtrack with over an hour of original music
- sprawling, complex world with over 50 levels to explore, and tons of secrets to find
- OpenFeint and Achievement support
To find out more about the game please visit http://www.frogatto.com/
- [3/4 SlideToPlay.com] "a fun and surprisingly deep platformer"
- [4/5 AppSpy.com] "boy-howdy is this an amazing visual feast!"
- [n/a TouchArcade.com] "totally worth checking out."
What's New in Version 1.2
* Complete redo of attack logic; frogatto now is free to walk around whilst he attacks, and in general is much more responsive.
* Frogatto's tongue-grabbing is MUCH more forgiving
* Complete rewrite of damage handling; much more consistent now, and categorically eliminates some bugs where damage wouldn't get dealt.
* Reworked some tilesets to eliminate tiling errors.
* Further enhancements to dungeon wall graphics (added edges).
* New, more readable dialogue font.
* Lots of small graphical tweaks.
* Maps are now strewn with spittable props within easy reach.
* Rewrote most of the dialogue.
* Collectible items like coins can be collected by being touched by the tongue, besides just frogatto's body.
* Redrew the world map.
* Added a few new monsters, like the red hornbugs, and completely rewrote how bats behave.
* Fixed a bug that caused a black line in the seaside background during dialogues.
* Fixed a bug that caused some tiles to incorrectly be flagged as opaque.
Harkens Back to the Classics
(Update to update) Man what a labor of love. Devs continue to make the game more and more polished and beautiful. The game world seems more vibrant now. I've already beaten the game but it all seems new to me with the recent tweaks. A+ job guys. I wanna keep playing this one.
(Update) The devs updated the game and I can happily say that the controls are now spot on! I don't know what they did but the game is a joy to play now and responds great! I can whole-heartedly recommend this game and upped my rating to 5 stars. Good job Ben Anderman!
I've been looking for a good platformer on the Appstore for a while now and I can safely say I've finally found one. Frogatto has a little bit of all the good platform games of yore, showing shades of Mario, Rayman, Kirby, Donkey Kong Country, and even a little bit of Metroid! The levels are huge, beautiful, and there's always something to keep your attention. Plus, the dialog is smart and humorous which means I don't cringe when I have to talk to characters in game (I'm looking at you Rare).
With the 1.1 update, this game just got SO MUCH BETTER!! I did like the old controls, and do miss the spin attack... but they've added SO MUCH, that I can totally forgive the change of controls. There's an arcade section, with 3 different modes - Coin Race, Run, and Climb. Each gets progressivly more challenging as you go along... also, the gameplay is different now because of the change in controls... you need to spit out every enemy before you kill them, instead of just doing a spin attack, which makes you go through the game differently (if you were using the spin attack to begin with...), but it runs super smooth, and is one of VERY FEW platformers that I've had on my iPod since it came out, almost a year ago. I've gone through it at least 5 times, and still want to keep it on my iPod for future playthroughs...
And now with the arcade modes, there's more replayability!!! I can't recommend this game enough!!! If you're a fan of NES/SNES platformers/side-scrollers, this is one game you NEED TO GET!!
This is one of the best adventure/platformers on iOS. Really, if you like the genre, try it! Ignore the negative reviews, there aren't many- for good reason. I'm not sure what I paid for this, but for sure it's worth the buck or two. I've played LOTS of platformers on my iPod, and this stands out, good graphics as well as gameplay. See also: Swordigo, Terra Noctis, Lep's World 2, Pizza Boy...
- Category: Games
- Updated: Dec 10, 2011
- Version: 1.2
- Size: 123 MB
- Languages: English, French, Italian, Japanese, Portuguese, Simplified Chinese
- Seller: Benjamin Anderman
- © 2011 David White, Richard Kettering, Ben Anderman et al
Compatibility: Requires iOS 3.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch.