"This is exactly what I asked Alligator Apps to develop for my classroom. Thank you so much!"
The Fry 1000 Instant Words are a list of the most common words used for teaching reading, writing, and spelling.
These high frequency words should be recognized instantly by readers.
Dr. Edward B. Fry's Instant Words (which are often referred to as the "Fry Words") are the most common words used in English ranked in order of frequency.
In 1996, Dr. Fry expanded on Dolch's sight word lists and research and published a book titled "Fry 1000 Instant Words." In his research, Dr. Fry found the following results:
25 words make up approximately 1/3 of all items published.
100 words comprise approximately 1/2 of all of the words found in publications.
300 words make up approximately 65% of all written material.
To make learning the Fry Words fun, simple, and easy, we have broken all 1,000 Fry words into unique sets of 10 words each.
Why Fry Words from Alligator Apps? We believe that educational apps should be ridiculously fun, immensely educational, and affordable for all.
Ideal for Kids 1 - 4 Years Old
Alligator Apps User Stories:
"I really love this app! I use it daily with my daughter and she has already picked up on a handful of words within a weeks time. Easy to use and customize to your child needs."
"My son is learning the Fry's word list in school and this is the perfect app! What a time saver. Instead of having to create hundreds of flashcards here they are and it's FREE."
"Wonderful App! As a mom & as a certified Kindergarten teacher, I love all of the Alligator Apps. I use them with my infant twins daily & am brainstorming ways to use it with my students in the fall (specifically the shapes)!"
Why you and your kids will love this app:
• Add your own cards - you can add an unlimited number of new words and record your own voice
• Add new lists - you can add and group flash cards into customizable lists which is ideal for learning
• Fun & engaging voice artist keeps kids engaged
• The application works both in portrait and landscape mode
• 5 unique game modes from easy (2 words only) to challenging (6 words per page)
• Fully customizable font size, font color, spelling (upper case, lower case, etc.)
• Unique continuous looping feature so you can go through hundreds of flashcards automatically
• Customizable speed - you decide how fast to go from flashcard to flashcard
• Infant mode - includes ability to select extra large font size and red font color (ideal for babies less than 12 months of age)
• Don't want to teach a given word? No problem, just delete the card
• Multi-sensory learning tool - combining audio, voice, and written words
Heroic Support is not just what we do. It's really what makes us, well, us. It's that drive to make a difference in your life - no matter how big or small. Really, it's our way of life because we want you to be our customer for a lifetime of fun and learning.
Have questions? We are here to help. Email us at email@example.com
- Minor bug fixes and improvements
- Fixed copy or combine bug to merge lists
- Fixed bug that made it impossible to customize photo for spelling lists
Ratings and Reviews
Great for Fry words
I don’t even want to know how many sight word apps I downloaded before finding this one. It does almost everything I need without a bunch of unnecessary games. Each set of Fry words is broken down into their 10 word list making it easy for me to make a favorite list for my kids to practice.
My only complaint is I have to set it up on a different device for each kid as their practice words are all different and I don’t want to create my own list with sounds every week. If I could just create a quick list from all words that would be ideal. Regardless, I’m thankful I didn’t have to build an app myself.
I'm trying to help a senior citizen learn to read, and this app is probably the most helpful thing we've used so far. The reading expert we've consulted recommends we try to add just three words at a time, so the flexibility afforded in the "controls" is perfect for our needs.
This app is simply a blank screen with one fry word in the center. You tap the word and the app says the word out loud and then replaces it with the next word. You can customize it – find, capitalization, audio, etc. I can't imagine that it would be engaging for a kid but i'm sure there are some people who are less something just like this.
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.