If you loved our First Phrases, you’ll love this app too! Fun with Verbs & Sentences is the next step up for children who are learning to speak in sentences, understand past and present verb tensing, and formulate basic sentence structures.
This app is developed for language ages 2-5 with eye-popping color drawings and 266 delightful animations--a cutting-edge way to show and teach action words! For a demonstration of this app, please check out our YouTube video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oUcYWlJ27yw .
This app is for the iPad and is our “full” version. It provides a fun way to visually show left to right sentence building (early literacy concepts) and sequence the parts of a sentence in the right order. This full version allows up to 75 users and groups and data tracking.
Want to show animations simply to elicit sentences and verb forms? Just select the "Watch & Say" activity--also a great pre/post assessment tool. Select the verbs from 39 choices or random, and choose the target sentence structures.
But this app does more! Play the "Build a Sentence" activity:
1) Choose your subject: There are three character choices in this app: a boy, a girl, and a bear. You can even opt to select "he" and "she" for extra pronoun practice!
2) Then choose your verb: The next step is choosing something for the girl to do. (There are always 3 picture choices, such as draw, jump, or eat). Let's choose "draw".
3) Choose your object or prepositional phrase: The last step is choosing something for the child to draw. (Choices for draw include: cat, spider, or cat).
4) The narrator now voices each part of the sentence slowly, as the circles flip around, one at a time, to reveal the associated pictures: “The girl…is drawing…a cat.” Unless de-selected, the narrator will then model the sentence at a quicker speaking pace, “The girl is drawing a cat.” The child is complimented for the sentence and then instructed, “After the video, it will be YOUR turn to say the sentence.”
5) The animation that shows the sentence that was created (i.e., “The girl is drawing a cat”) is now shown, typically with a sound effect. If the verb is present tense, (which is the default) it snaps back and loops continually, without sound.
6) The child is asked, “What is happening? Tell me the whole sentence.” The circles below can be tapped to show the associated pictures or tapped again to hear the associated audio. The child taps “Record” and tries to formulate the target sentence, then touches “Stop”.
The child listens to the target phrase by touching a “Check” button that pops up, and compares to his own recording. If used in therapy, the data tracking features on the left can be used. (This can be de-selected within the settings if no desired)
*If past tense verb forms have been selected, the animation is shown only once and the narrator asks, “What happened?” If the user would like to target the verb only, this can be selected in the settings, with the question being asked, “What is the girl doing?” (or “What did the girl do?” for past tense)
7) A reward game can be played at desired intervals, the “Pop It!” Game. The child touches bubbles on a screen until a selected “prize” is found.
A perfect speech therapy app!
Developed by licensed speech-language pathologist and author, Patti Hamaguchi, M.A., CCC-SLP. Visit our website: www.hamaguchiapps.com
Questions or need Tech Support? Email us at firstname.lastname@example.org
Fixed the issues with older version IOS crashing/videos not working
Ratings and Reviews
Bug fix but no pause button
I loved the ability to pause and replay the same scene for repetition and extra practice. Bring it back...please! :)
We have not changed that feature, please check again. If you are having difficulty of any kind please contact our tech support team directly at email@example.com so we can sort out what could be going on with your individual device. Thanks! Hamaguchi Apps
every bug is fix
the recording and video playing problems are finally fixed by na upgrade! thanks!
Great for learning to putting 2-3 words together
I really like using this app in speech therapy for kids that are just learning to put 2-3 words together. One of my favorite parts is that it is not continually responsive to their touching parts of the screen. They learn quickly to make their selection and then wait to see what happens. Nonverbal kids love seeing their selections put into action.
Thanks so much for the kind review, we really appreciate it! (Yes, it's been almost 3 years since you posted this but Apple is just now allowing developers to respond)
- Hamaguchi Apps for Speech, Language & Auditory Development
- 960.1 MB
- Requires iOS 8.0 or later. Compatible with iPad.
- Age Rating
- Rated 4+
- © Copyright 2013 Hamaguchi Apps, a division of Hamaguchi & Associates Pediatric Speech-Language Pathologists, Inc. All Rights Reserved
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.