G-Map U.S. West
By XROAD, INC.
Open iTunes to buy and download apps.
- Live Traffic available now as G-map values consumers’ comments and feedback(In app purchase)
Consumer Reports (July 2009) - "G-map is a decent GPS application…"
Gizmodo(March 2009) - "It has very clear, accurate and understandable…"
iPhoneappreview (Oct 2009) - "It is the fastest loading app I have..."
► MAP DATA: NAVTEQ
► WHAT IS THE G-MAP?
G-map is the first voice-prompted turn-by-turn GPS navigation software available for iPhone and iPod Touch. No wireless connection needed to get you to the destination.
► WHAT ARE THE MAJOR FEATURES?
- Live traffic: Displays the level of traffic on your route in different colors. Allows you to avoid traffic tie-ups by choosing alternative routes, all presented with real-time traffic information.
- Text-To-Speech: Speaks street names, so you can keep your eyes on the road.
- Instantly converts iPhone’s address book contacts to routing destinations.
- Music automatically resumes after navigation voice guidance
- Automatic resumption of navigation after a telephone call
- A.I. (Artificial Intelligence) Routing: G-map actually learns your route preferences and applies them in future route guidance
- Point on Map: When you touch any point on the map, the G-map provides detailed location information, including street address, city, state, zip code and phone number. G-map also offers the option for a route from your current location to the point on the map you’ve selected. This is helpful when you know the vicinity of a destination, but not exact address.
- Real 3D View: G-map provides detailed, realistic 3-D renderings of major urban intersections and highway junctions for 185 metro areas, in your choice of full or half-screen configuration.
- Flexible Trip Planning: Enables user to add multiple waypoints when creating route and simulate the routing among them all. Ideal when making numerous stops during one trip.
- Suggested Keyword Search: G-map intuitively suggests search results, based on letters you enter. This saves you time when entering data and the suggested options are helpful when you are unsure of exact location names.
- Simulated Routing: G-map lets you preview your route by animating the path of the entire route of to the selected destination. This feature helps you to understand the route and select an alternative, if you prefer.
- On-board GPS navigation solution that needs no internet or Wi-Fi connection
► WHAT ARE THE COVERED AREAS?
- Illinois (Springfield and more; please check the website for more detailed area info)
- Michigan (Marquette and more; please check the website for more detailed area info)
- New Mexico
- North Dakota
- South Dakota
- Tennessee (Memphis and more; please check the website for more detailed area info)
- Wisconsin (La Crosse and more; please check the website for more detailed area info)
► WHAT ARE THE OTHER FEATURES?
- Intuitive and Easy-to-Use User Interface: Functions are logical and easy to figure out; graphics are easily understood.
- Point of Interest (POI) Editing and Memo: User can personalize POIs with a title, phone number, and memo. User can include helpful notes, such as hours of operation for a destination business, etc.
- Display Favorites and Point of Interest (POI) Icons: User’s favorite destinations and POIs are visible on the “View Map” display.
- 3-Way Map view mode setting: North-up, Heading-up, and 3D view
► HOW CAN I GET THE DETAILED USER GUIDE OF THE G-MAP?
Please visit www.gmapdrive.com to download the user guide of the G-map
What's New in Version 2.1
1. Live traffic available(In app purchase)
2. Inner iPod Controller added
3. App Settings available within the App
4. Navigation map UI improved
5. Bugs fixed
Works well, Needs bunch of improvements.
I have used this for a few days and Pros - Turn-by-turn works very well - Does have good way of searching for addresses, although usability can be improved - Catches signal pretty fast - but often times I had to hit map view for that - recalculation happens pretty fast Cons - I think it needs to catch cell/GPS instead of trying GPS signal first. That would make it even more faster especially in big cities with big buildings - Sometimes, I had to switch to map so that it finds the current location and then go back to "Where To" screen to find a POI... - Maps/POI database seems a little outdated. Didn't find a regular fitness center through POI. Not sure how good the POI database is - Should allow for user updates to POI database. Thats the best way to enhance experience - Wouold be nice to integrate with other apps like Yelp - Didn't see the scenic route or the traffic pattern options. Hoping they will be available in the next update Overall a nice app that is available at a reasonable cost. Hopefully, they will keep improving. Would have given a 3.5 rating if I could
ha, i was going to give up on G-map.
This update sure was surprise, at least for me.
In terms of the display, I admit I prefer Navigon the freeway and streets look 1000 times better. However, I like the horizontal G-map design. I think it is exactly how it should be. Remaining Time and distance on the bottom, default time and signal on top. If I want more directions, just click the arrow on the screen. Press a button for extra options like mute voice guidance, edit route and music while I am using it.
I think the design is just perfect, but the pictures are horrible. I would like to have a cleaner map like Tomtom or Navigon. It looks very messy for me. And, the POI is very bad. If you search "Peet's" -_- you will see there is only one and it is 10 miles away..
I have been using this app for about 1 year and have tracked along with the various updates. I have to say that I have been continuously dissapointed with each update. While the feature set has grown considerable - major bugs remain. The quality control prior to releasing updates is lax. The Contact Address link is useless because it requires an exact match. Same with POI. I do a simple search for Home Depot and it can't find anything.
Whenever I have contacted technical support I get told that they are "working on the bug" and to expect it in the next release. My experience has been that they fix one bug and create 3-4 more in the next version.
I am getting random crashes on my iPhone 3GS. Not sure if it is because of Live Traffic Updates feature or what. I am now going to have to investigate the other GPS apps because I am fed up with G-Maps!!
- Category: Navigation
- Updated: Feb 02, 2010
- Version: 2.1
- Size: 955 MB
- Languages: English, French, German, Italian, Portuguese, Russian, Spanish
- Seller: XROAD, INC.
- © XROAD Co., Ltd.
Compatibility: Requires iOS 3.1.2 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch.