Gaia GPS - Topo Maps, Trails, and Tracker for Hiking, Biking, Camping, and Hunting Offline
Open iTunes to buy and download apps.
Featured in Apple's "Your Verse" stories
"Gaia GPS can get you where you want to go, no matter where you are."
FOXNews, TappedIn - http://bit.ly/iCqKVp
"Best Smartphone App"
Trailrunner - http://bit.ly/1fjsQ94
►► About Gaia (guy-yuh)
Plan trips and explore the wild with Gaia GPS, on your phone, tablet, and computer.
Since 2009, we've been constantly updating Gaia GPS to help people explore remote places, and stay safer in the woods. Top adventure guides recommend Gaia GPS for exploration all over the world.
Today, eight people contribute to the support and development of Gaia GPS. You can always get in touch with us at email@example.com.
Gaia comes from Greek mythology - she is the Goddess of the Earth, or Mother Nature.
• preview maps online at www.gaiagps.com/map
• download worldwide topo, road, and aerial maps
• use Gaia's unique, streaming, vector, worldwide topo map
• includes the best government topo maps for the US and Canada (USGS, USFS, NRCan)
• unlimited downloads for offline use - no extra charges
►► Sync, Back-up, and Website
• use Gaia everywhere - iPhone, iPad, iPod, and online at www.gaiagps.com
• sync your tracks, photos, maps, and waypoints to all of your devices
• share links to tracks and photos, via email, Facebook, Twitter, SMS, and more
• keep your data backed up, effortlessly
►► Map Tools
• record tracks, waypoints, and take geo-tagged photos
• display NEXRAD radar, track data, and Gaia POI data with webpages from our search engine
• import and export GPX/KML files, by iTunes, Safari, DropBox, and email
• customize all aspects of Gaia, including units, coordinates types, color and sound, and more
Subscribe to GaiaPro to get extra features, maps, and support. The cost is $3.99/month or $39.99/year.
* use www.gaiagps.com to print maps and plan routes
* download multi-layered maps - mix and set opacity for many layers at once
* use MapBox cloudless aerial and street maps, the best and most up-to-date OpenStreetMap available
* view weather forecasts from Wunderground
* set custom icons for waypoints you create
* sync high-resolution photos to GaiaCloud
* dedicated email and phone support from within Gaia GPS Settings
To manage your subscription:
• TURN OFF auto-renewal via the main Settings app: http://support.apple.com/kb/ht4098
• Subscription automatically renews unless auto-renew is turned off at least 24-hours before the end of the current period. Your iTunes account will be charged for renewal within 24-hours prior to the end of the current period, and identify the cost of the renewal.
• Payment will be charged to iTunes Account at confirmation of purchase
►► IMPORTANT - IPOD TOUCH AND WIFI ONLY IPADS - This application will not be fully functional on these devices, unless you have an external GPS attachment. The GPS Recorder and compass will be inactive. You will be able to view maps and waypoints, but you cannot record tracks.
►► GPS WARNING - Continued use of GPS running in the background can dramatically decrease battery life.
What's New in Version 9.2
If you enjoy Gaia GPS, please consider leaving a review.
* Track recording UI is now sweet, with an explicit Stop option.
* Enabled import of TileJSON files for adding new map sources
* Fixed multiple display issues on iPhone 6+
* Fixed recording a new track occasionally resuming last track
* Fixed numerous bugs that caused occasional app crashes
* Fixed an issue that could cause GaiaPro subscription renewals to not work properly
* Fixed an issue with email export not working when brightness was turned down
Great for off-roading, too.
I just used this app and only this app on my iPad while over-landing in my Jeep to find some really obscure mine shafts dug in the Mojave Desert in the late 1800's and abandoned in the 1930's. In complete darkness. And cell service was hours away. The multiple layers are key (switching from old USGS maps to Google Satellite maps on the fly to compare where the old map said the mining trail was to where the camera in space said the trail was). Also, downloading only the section of map you need for offline use is ridiculously easy. I highly recommend pairing this app with Dual Electronic's XGPS150A for highly accurate GPS coords paired to your smart device via Bluetooth even when cell service is non-existent. I pair the XGPS to my iPad and use Gaia while off-roading, then attach the XGPS to my camelback and pair it with my iPhone and use Gaia for hiking. Makes Garmin and Lowrance obsolete, both in functionality and better UI.
GaiaGPS just gets better and better...
Version 9.2.0 is incredible, and I can recommend GaiaGPS without reservation. The record track, pause track, finish track are now intuitive and user friendly. The ability to choose mapping layers, record and email tracks to friends including trip data (distance, speed, elevation gain and loss) plus gpx & .kml files, and a whole host of other features now make this an incredibly powerful and useful mapping app. In addition, it is being actively supported and updated regularly. One can display a previous trip on the map and follow it in real time. Or one can import a friend's .kml file and display it and follow it in the same way in real time. Too many other useful features to list. This is the mapping app I recommend to backpackers and hikers without any reservation whatsoever. It is a steal at $20.
My go-to app for backcountry hiking
The Gaia GPS had become my go-to app anytime I do a hike and want to know elevation gain. More importantly, I rely on it when hiking into the backcountry and location and direction are critical. Find it to be extremely accurate (I have tested this against my Garmin Colorado) and in particular the option of choosing various mapping services has been great.
The only limitation or downside for using this on my iPhone is the requirement to download the appropriate maps prior to getting to areas without cell phone coverage. Tracking continuous without it but the first time it did not make me happy to see me moving along on a white page.
Highly recommend this app.
- Category: Navigation
- Updated: Feb 05, 2015
- Version: 9.2
- Size: 29.4 MB
- Languages: English, Dutch, French, German, Italian, Japanese, Portuguese, Russian, Simplified Chinese, Spanish, Swedish, Traditional Chinese
- Seller: Trailbehind, INC.
- © 2009-14 TrailBehind Inc.
Compatibility: Requires iOS 6.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch. This app is optimized for iPhone 5.
Top In-App Purchases