Plan trips and stay safer in the woods, with Gaia GPS.
Join hundreds of thousands of backpackers, hunters, offroaders, mountain bikers, backcountry skiers, firefighters, guides, and other serious outdoor adventurers and professionals that use Gaia GPS for work and play. Hike, hunt, and offroad with the best topo maps and outdoor navigation tools.
►► The Best App for Topo Maps
Gaia GPS has been showcased in Apple's "Your Verse" stories, and covered in countless major publications, from Outside and TrailRunner, to the New York Times and FOX News TappedIn.
The name Gaia (guy-yuh) comes from Greek mythology - she is the Goddess of the Earth, or Mother Nature.
• view easy-to-read, modern maps, with fast and beautiful rendering
• explore historic and classic print maps (USGS, USFS, NRCan, IGN)
• download worldwide topo, road, and satellite maps
• search for hiking trails, parks, natural places, and addresses, and tap features on Gaia Topo to get more info
►► Sync and Back-up
• sync your tracks, photos, maps, and waypoints to all of your devices
• keep your data backed up, effortlessly
• share trip plans, and collaborate on shared folders
►► Map Tools
• record tracks, waypoints, and take geo-tagged photos
• import and export GPX and KML files
• customize coordinates types (Decimal, Degrees/Minutes/Seconds, Degrees - Decimal Minutes, UTM, and MGRS)
►► Membership Levels
Free Level - You can use Gaia GPS for free. You'll be limited to the default map source, and you won't be able to download maps for offline use.
Member Level - As a Member, you can download a worldwide catalog of topo, road, and satellite maps.
Premium Member Level - As a Premium Member, you also get access to these map sources:
• NatGeo Trails Illustrated
• ESRI World Satellite Imagery
• US Private Land Ownership (owners and addresses for parcels)
• US Hunting Layers, including GMUs, public land, and fires
• US Motor Vehicle Use Maps (MVUM)
• US NeoTreks Topo
• France IGN
• Hill-shading, contour lines, slope angle, and other overlays
► To manage your subscription:
• TURN OFF auto-renewal via the main Settings app: http://support.apple.com/kb/ht4098
• Subscription automatically renews unless auto-renew is turned off at least 24-hours before the end of the current period. Your iTunes account will be charged for renewal within 24-hours prior to the end of the current period, and identify the cost of the renewal.
• Payment will be charged to iTunes Account at confirmation of purchase
If you love Gaia GPS, help spread the word by leaving a review. Your review will also get bumped up, when you rate a new update.
* New info screens for hunting map layers, including stats for climate, % public land, and land cover.
* Fixed several sync related bugs.
Ratings and Reviews
Great tool for mapping motorcycle trips that use lots of off-road.
I’ve been using GAIA to map my rides for a couple of years now. I use it to note where I’ve been, and to mark places I’d like to go, rather than mapping out routes beforehand. I like the detail available in the layers of maps available, (just purchased membership so as to be able to download and utilize Canada backroads layer) the ability to run the app while phone is in airplane mode, and the relatively low power use in that mode.
I’ve ridden across the country west to east and back again, and from south to north, and largely off-road. And have records of each day’s ride.
I use it to map mountain bike rides and bicycle commutes, and keep multiple parent-folders current with each ride. I also like being able to share a link to my rides with family and friends. I know there are features I don’t use, but feel confident that their use would be pretty intuitive given the ease of use I experience with the features I do use.
Great to plan routes for off-road riding
Downloaded the app and tested it for off-road motorcycle. The automatic tracing of a route over existing marked trails is an awesome feature that makes planning the route considerably easier than with Google Earth or Garmin Basecamp. I downloaded satellite image and usgs topo maps of the area I was riding in so I didn't need to rely on having network or not during the ride. Battery usage was reasonable and it can certainly last for 12 hours or more with every app turned off and airplane mode. The website is fairly good too. Only small complain is that the web app folder system is a little convoluted - it's not obvious at first where things go at first. The mobile app occasionally crashes while managing files, yet nothing was lost. Compare to a Garmin gps unit the only limitation is the device's gps accuracy and recording rate but it's no issue for off-road riding/driving, likely not an issue for hiking neither.
- Trailbehind, INC.
- 166 MB
- Requires iOS 9.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch.
- English, Arabic, Czech, Dutch, French, German, Italian, Japanese, Korean, Polish, Portuguese, Russian, Simplified Chinese, Spanish, Swedish, Traditional Chinese, Turkish
- Age Rating
- Rated 4+
- This app may use your location even when it isn't open, which can decrease battery life.
- © 2009-2018 Trailbehind, inc.
- In-App Purchases
- Gaia GPS Member $19.99
- Gaia GPS Premium $39.99
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.
Get things done within this app using just your voice.