Galileo Offline Maps - OSM based project for hikers & bikers traveling the wilderness
By Evgen Bodunov
Open iTunes to buy and download apps.
Go offline anywhere you want — offline vector maps and offline search for your better travel experience. Record your GPS tracks, bookmark your favorite locations and sync them between your devices.
!! (Paid) features may be unlocked through in-app purchase. !!
• Totally free – there is no limit on the number of countries/regions you can download.
• Detailed and informative – because they based on OpenStreetMap.org data.
• Up-to-date and accurate – we update them monthly.
• Take up less space than others and work really fast – app uses GPUs in addition to CPUs to render vector maps.
• Changeable size of labels – large labels on maps is extremely useful while driving.
• Multiple languages support – map labels will be changed to the selected language immediately.
• Incredible fast – results appear instantly as you type.
• It works in variety of ways – by object name, category or even by GPS coordinates.
• It finds objects in multiple languages – this will make your searching much easier than ever.
• No internet connection required.
Geo data syncing:
• iCloud and Dropbox sync supported.
• Any number of devices could sync simultaneously.
GPS Tracks Recording: (Paid)
• Record your trips and export them as KML/GPX files.
• Monitor your real-time speed, distance and time traveled, as well as altitude right on the map during the trip.
• Beautiful gradients to visualise altitude and speed changes.
Bookmarks on the Map: (Paid)
• Mark your favorite places on your maps and set points of interest for your next trip.
• Choose from lots of icons to assign to bookmarks.
• Store your bookmarks and GPS tracks in separate collections for a quick access.
Sharing Your Geodata:
• Share your itineraries from the app via Mail, Facebook and Twitter
• Export them in the most common formats: KML & GPX.
Backing Up Your Data:
• Back up your collections to have the copy of data that may be lost or deleted by mistake.
• Restore data to your device from the backup you created earlier in one tap.
• Transfer backuped data to another iOS device or app
Offline Maps Import: (Paid)
• Import previously created custom offline maps in .sqlitedb or .mbtiles format (use Mobile Atlas Creator, TileMill or SAS.Planet to generate offline maps).
And even more:
• Custom map sources support (including multi-layer sources)
• Different coordinate formats (including MGRS)
• Importing KML/GPX files into the app
• GPS filtering (accuracy and distance threshold)
• Bearing line to bookmark
• One finger zooming
• Online search
• Measuring distance between two points on the map
• Works on slow iOS5 devices iPad 1 and iPhone 3GS
Continued use of GPS running in the background can dramatically decrease battery life.
What's New in Version 3.3.1
! Sync your geo data between devices via iCloud or Dropbox.
• Drag and drop items between collections in list.
• Update your map to get drinking water places on the map and search for restrooms without an Internet.
Please take 2 minutes to rate the new version on the App Store!
I keep finding more uses for Galileo
I use Galileo quite a bit for trip planning, but also for tracking my travels in real time. it works well for any travel, including motorcycling and hiking. I use several other tools -- the iPhone is the best gps device I know of, largely because of so many good single purpose apps. like all these specialty apps Galileo has a bit of a learning curve. this is because being out and about on your own has a very steep curve. these days I worry that my favorite apps will fall out of support--some already have. but Galileo is updated frequently and draws from reliable map sources. it's a deal, for sure! if it became a subscription service, I would be a loyal subscriber. they pack a lot of value into a very reasonable purchase price.
Offline Vector maps can quickly and easily be preloaded all at once. This is great, but the. I discovered you can pre-download tiles too, and they are cached. I used this ability to get topographical tiles (OSM cycle). Best feature is the ease with which I can transfer a GPX file (via Dropbox, just click "share") to this app. Now I can have a track to follow in real time. I am very experienced with Garmin devices for outdoor navigation, and honestly, this app beats the pants off any Garmin I have used in terms of map draw times and reliability. That may be thanks partially to the great Apple hardware, but this app is well designed with clear, understandable menus. Finally, it is free. Wow!
Great offline map... Just has a steep learning curve
Amazing and super powerful. Has hiking trails all over the world and works great offline. My group got lost hiking in Costa Rica, I was just laughing watching them scurry around in the rainforest. We were still on the trail just no blazes. I knew exactly where we were. So amazed every trail I have ever hiked is on this thing. Take it on a flight download the map of the country or state you are going to in the airport or at home first. Play with it on the plane. There you go, never lost again.
Customers Also Bought
- Category: Travel
- Updated: Jul 24, 2015
- Version: 3.3.1
- Size: 30.2 MB
- Languages: English, Czech, Dutch, French, German, Italian, Japanese, Korean, Polish, Russian, Simplified Chinese, Spanish
- Seller: Evgen Bodunov
- © Evgen Bodunov
Compatibility: Requires iOS 5.1.1 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch. This app is optimized for iPhone 5, iPhone 6, and iPhone 6 Plus.
Top In-App Purchases
- All-in-One Features Pack$3.99
- Offline Maps Import$0.99
- GPS Track Recording$1.99
- All-in-One Features Pack$2.99
- All-in-One Features Pack$1.99
- Customizing Map Features$0.99