Gallagher's Beer Guide
By Gallagher Applications
Open iTunes to buy and download apps.
Have you ever found yourself gazing at the tap handles of your local watering hole without a clue of what beer to choose? Or have you found yourself aimlessly wandering the aisles of your local convenience store not knowing which of the many brews available fit your taste? Gallagher’s Beer Guide can help you discover lesser-known gems from brewers around the world. We believe there is a beer for everybody and we want to be your on-the-go resource to help you find and enjoy beers.
• Use our convenient Style Guide to find your preference when it comes to beers. We grouped various of our favorite brews into a manageable 12-pack of different beer styles. This way you can reference our guide when grabbing a couple of sixers – our hope is that we can help you find new beers to try, track the ones you like best and get more of the great beers we enjoy into the hands of discerning drinkers who will appreciate them.
• Browse our Beer Guide which currently has two cases worth of beer (48 brews) for each of our 12 styles. That way if you find one type that fits your taste, you have a bunch of widely available beers to try in that style.
• Discover some of our favorite beer and food pairings in our Food Guide. Find out what foods tend to work with different types of beer, and enhance your meal.
• Consult our Flavor Guide to uncover beers you might like based on common flavors in beers or wines with similar characteristics that you have enjoyed previously.
• Jot your thoughts about any beer you try and save it for reference in our Tasting Notes feature. Insert a picture using your iPhone Camera to make the brew easier to remember or capture the setting where you are enjoying it. Know a friend who may be interested in your Tasting Note? Email your review using your phone’s contacts.
Application developed with Natural Guides, LLC (naturalguides.com).
It provides an alphabetical list of beers (by brewery) so if you want to know who makes the beer called "Maudite" you are out of luck. You have to know that it's made by Unibroue. When I bought this, I was under the impression that I would be able to enter my own tasting or technical notes on a particular beer. This is not the case. There is a notes function, which allows one to take a photo and enter text, but there is no link between that note and a beer in the database. If one looks up a beer, and taps on it, nothing happens. it's just a list with name and percent alcohol by volume. The same list of beers can also be viewed by category of beer and I do not agree with the choices for overall categories, nor do I completely agree with the assignment of some bees in their categories. For example, a huge variety of beers are lumped together into "Unique Brews" but "Dark Lagers" get their own category. No photos of any beers, no info at all on any of them and no ability to supplement the info on the beers listed. No real ability to add new beers to the database except for the Notes page, which I could do on my own with just the iPhone's built-in Notes application. Don't bother with this app.
Great App for the amateur trying to learn more
I started getting into rare and Belgian beers about 4 years ago and i have to say this app has opened my eyes to many more beers i would have otherwise never have heard of. Also being a lover of wine i felt that the comparisons of wines to beers were spot-on to my personal preference. The app also does a great job matching the different types of beers to food. I love this app and thank the designer for introducing me to all new kinds of beers to enjoy! For those of you that wrote negative reviews I don't really understand your impatience with the app, it's only in it's first version and i'm sure more updates, capabilities, and information about our favorite beverages will be added soon.
Nice little guide for knocking back brews
I've always been a bud light guy. But I like the fact that this app gives me other beers that I haven't heard of to try out that have similar characteristics to the beers I already know I love. Also, my girlfriend likes wine so I'm going to get her to use the wine to beer converter. Def. a handy resource to have with you when you are on the move or out at a bar or party. I live in New York City so there are plenty of bars with foreign beers on tap and this app is going to help me try some of those when I normally wouldn’t have in the past because I didn’t know what they would taste like. No question about it, this app is a no brainer purchase for the average dude!