Gambit REPL is a compact development environment for the Scheme programming language based on the Gambit Scheme programming system. Use it on iPhone, iPod touch and iPad devices to learn the Scheme programming language. Hack scripts on the go!
- Fixed issue which caused crash on 64 bit devices (iPhone5s, iPhone 6, iPhone 6 Plus)
- Interpreter upgrade to Gambit v4.7.4
- Many extended keys are available in the REPL and code editor allowing easy entry of Scheme code
- Compatibility with iOS 6.1 has been reestablished
- New user interface layout give a larger workspace
- Improved support for external Bluetooth keyboard
- Emacs like code editor has been added
- Support for iCloud has been added, allowing documents to be accessible from any device
Ratings and Reviews
Helpful keyboard but otherwise disappointing interface
The custom keyboard that comes with this build of gambit-c is very useful, making most needed keys readily available. However, the file editor is rather awkward and basic, and the REPL is far more primitive than what comes with PC builds.
If you want to try the Scheme language on your desktop or laptop, definitely try out Gambit; it is one of the most well known and mature implementations and has a great interactive REPL. This mobile version was disappointing.
This new release has fixed crashes on 64bit devices. It now works great on my iPad. Thank you.
Great to see Gambit Scheme here
Gambit is an excellent implementation of the programming language Scheme (a flavor of Lisp) that I have used for years. Scheme is a very expressive (near) functional programming language that is clean and easy to learn. You won't be able to write large programs using the iPhone version, but this app will be useful for writing small mathematical functions and experimenting. The controls are still a little rough -- I could not find a way to go back to the script editor from the interactive prompt short of restarting the application. Hopefully additional releases will smooth out some of these issues.
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.