GarageBand turns your iPad, and iPhone into a collection of Touch Instruments and a full-featured recording studio — so you can make music anywhere you go. And with Live Loops, it makes it easy for anyone to have fun creating music like a DJ. Use Multi-Touch gestures to play keyboards, guitars, and create beats that make you sound like a pro — even if you’ve never played a note before. Plug in a guitar or bass and play through classic amps and stompbox effects. Use a Touch Instrument, microphone, or a guitar and instantly record a performance with support for up of 32 tracks. Use the new Sound Library to download additional free instruments, loops and sound packs. Audio Unit Extensions in iOS 11 allow you to play, record and mix third-party instruments or effects right into GarageBand. And then share your song with friends and family.
Live Loops. Make music like a DJ
• Use Multi-Touch to tap and trigger a Live Loop cell or group of cells
• Get started with templates or build your own grid from scratch with Apple Loops
• Create custom loops by recording directly into a cell using any Touch Instrument
• Use Remix FX to perform DJ-style effects
• Tap record and capture your performance
Play your iPad, and iPhone, like a musical instrument
• Play a variety of musical instruments on the innovative Multi-Touch keyboard
• Play and record using the Alchemy synth*
• Build grooves inspired by classic electronic drum machines with the Beat Sequencer
• Download free instruments, loops and sound packs for GarageBand with the Sound Library
• Capture any sound and apply studio-class effects
• Recreate legendary guitar or bass rigs using virtual amps & stompboxes
• Use 3D Touch to play keyboard sounds with polyphonic aftertouch**
• Record performances from third-party music apps directly into GarageBand using Audio Unit Extensions***
Drummer for iOS
• Add virtual session drummers to your song who take direction and play realistic grooves
• Choose from acoustic, electronic drummers and percussionists****
• Each character provides their own sound and the ability to create over a million realistic grooves and fills
Sound like a virtuoso with Smart Instruments
• Play an entire string orchestra using Smart Strings
• Perform with Chord Strips and autoplay using any keyboard instrument
• Groove with a variety of Smart Basses using upright, electric, and synth sounds
• Strum chords or trigger autoplay patterns on an acoustic and electric Smart Guitar
Create a song anywhere you go
• Record, arrange and mix your song with up to 32 tracks using Touch Instruments, audio recordings, and loops*****
• Record multiple times over any song section and choose your favorite using Multi-Take Recording
• Use professional mixing effects, including Visual EQ, Bitcrusher, and Overdrive
• Recording, mixing and exporting a song can be done at 24-bit audio resolution
• Trim and place musical regions exactly where you want them to play
• Automate the volume and record the movement of controls on Touch Instruments
• Add comments or lyric ideas to your song with an integrated notepad
Share your songs
• Keep your songs up to date across all devices using iCloud Drive
• Create custom ringtones and alerts for your iPad, iPhone, or iPod touch
• Share your songs using email or Facebook, YouTube, and SoundCloud******
• Remotely add new tracks to your Logic Pro X project from your iPhone or iPad via iCloud
* The Alchemy synth is available on iPhone 6 or later, iPad Pro, iPad (5th generation), iPad Air 2, and iPad mini 4.
** Polyphonic aftertouch is available on iPhone 6s or later.
*** Requires compatible third-party Audio Unit Extensions apps from the App Store.
**** Requires free download from GarageBand Sound Library.
***** Multitrack recording requires a compatible third-party audio interface.
****** Sharing to Facebook and YouTube requires iMovie.
This update contains stability improvements and bug fixes.
Ratings and Reviews
Make music wherever you go.
So i love this app and have been able to make some pretty great things with it but my only complaint (and this is a big one) is that all of the sounds are in the same category for the most part. They all sound generally like stuff you would use in techno music. It is very difficult to make a hard trap type beat with all of these up beat sounds. It makes it sound very immature and corny. Dont think its my fault because i use fl studio on my computer all the time and the amount of sounds you can buy/generate is awesome. There is always a way to get the specific sound you want but with garage band it feels like you are extremely confined. For example there isnt even 1 bass sound that is remotely close to sub bass. Its all super tight and there isnt any deep, good sounding bass. No matter how much you mix it you just cant get a good sound. I would like to see more dark, trap like sound packs in the future because i feel it would turn this app around. It would change the fact that people in the industry look down upon it and would please a huge fan base you probably didnt even know you had. Make the sounds more customizable and make purchasable sound packs that fit certain styles of music and just expand your reach out of just classic rock and techno. Create a platform that will please everyone instead of keeping it so conservative and limited. Thanks a lot and i hope to see change in the future.
Complaints about GarageBand
I love this app as it’s one of the only things I use on my Phone but as a beginner music creator, I have some complaints about various things. First off, notes snapping to the grid when you want to record certain rhythms and beats. For example, if you want to make triplets or a shuffle beat, it changes it to a straight beat, and as a beginner, I don’t know the exact placing of a triplet and while I can create a shuffle beat by editing the track, it’s super discouraging to do so because there’s no real reason to have it as a forced option. Second thing, sounds like the Violin, French Horn, and Brass Section are terribly delayed to the full attack of the sound. So if you put a note on beat 1, the full attack of the sound is an eighth of a beat later, so in order to counter that, you have to move the track over, and move notes accordingly (if it’s in the very beginning of the song). I’m also upset that this app doesn’t have sounds like a Saxophone for jazz solos and whatever else or Marching Percussion instruments (Snare, Bass Drums, and Quads/Quints) to either create a matching piece or for a stylistic piece that uses Marching Percussion instruments as well as maybe some synths. Maybe this app isn’t amazing so you upgrade to Logic Pro on a Mac and maybe all of these problems have been solved there, but for 5$, this app is great. I would expect GarageBand to fix that first issue though.
- Apple Inc.
- 1.8 GB
- Requires iOS 11.4 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch.
- English, Arabic, Catalan, Chinese (Hong Kong), Croatian, Czech, Danish, Dutch, Finnish, French, German, Greek, Hebrew, Hindi, Hungarian, Indonesian, Italian, Japanese, Korean, Malay, Norwegian, Polish, Portuguese, Romanian, Russian, Simplified Chinese, Slovak, Spanish, Swedish, Thai, Traditional Chinese, Turkish, Ukrainian, Vietnamese
- Age Rating
- Rated 4+
- © 2011-2018 Apple Inc. All rights reserved.
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.