Open the Mac App Store to buy and download apps.
Rebuilt from the ground up with a fresh new look and amazing new features, GarageBand is the easiest way to create a great-sounding song on your Mac. Add realistic, impeccably produced and performed drum grooves to your song with Drummer. Easily shape the sound of any instrument in the Sound Library with Smart Controls. Crank up the bottom end with brand-new bass amps, or mix and match electric guitar amps, cabinets, and pedals with Amp Designer and Pedalboard. Control GarageBand and play any software instrument wirelessly on your iPad using the Logic Remote app. Use iCloud to keep your GarageBand projects updated across multiple Mac computers, or even import GarageBand for iOS songs directly from iCloud.
• A fresh new look, designed for easy music making
• Stay in perfect tune with a larger, more responsive Tuner
• Find the sweet spot in every track with the all-new interactive visual EQ
• Enable Quick Help and get useful hints wherever you hover your cursor
• Add a virtual session drummer to your song that takes direction and plays realistic beats
• Choose among 15 players from rock, alternative, songwriter, and R&B genres*
• Use a simple set of controls to shape your drummer’s performance
• Each player can perform over a million unique groove and fill combinations
All-new Sound Library
• Get inspired with a fresh new collection of sounds and instruments
• Explore new Apple Loops covering the latest electronic and urban genres
• Get even more sounds, loops, and lessons with a one-time in-app purchase
• Easily shape any sound in the library with a custom set of knobs, buttons, and sliders
• The look and personality of Smart Controls changes with each instrument
Amps and Stompboxes
• Use new bass amp models to dial up clean and distorted tones
• Build your own guitar rig with Amp Designer using 25 legendary amps and cabinets
• Design a custom Pedalboard from a collection of 35 fun and creative stompbox effects
Record. Mix. Master. Share.
• Create a song with up to 255 tracks
• Quickly change the timing of an audio recording using Flex Time
• Use Groove Matching to align the rhythm and timing of all your tracks with a single click
• Choose your best performance with multi-take recording
• Create a ringtone, export to your iTunes library, or share directly to SoundCloud
• Use iCloud to keep your GarageBand projects up to date across your Mac computers.
• Start a song anywhere on your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch, then import it wirelessly to your Mac to take it even further
Works with Logic Remote for iPad
• Use your iPad and Multi-Touch gestures to wirelessly play any GarageBand instrument on your Mac
• Access Smart Controls on your iPad to shape any sound while you’re playing
• Navigate your song and browse the Sound Library from your iPad
Learn to Play
• Get started with 40 Basic Lessons* for guitar and piano covering classical, blues, rock, and pop
• Artist Lessons show you how to play a hit song taught by the artist who made it famous**
• Play along with any GarageBand Lesson and use How Did I Play to get feedback on how accurately you played
* The complete set of GarageBand sounds, loops, and drummers, as well as access to the GarageBand Lesson Store, is available with a one-time in-app purchase.
** GarageBand Artist Lessons are sold separately and are available directly through the GarageBand Lesson Store in select countries.
What's New in Version 10.0.1
This update improves stability and addresses a number of minor issues.
As a preface, I am a music education student at university. I rely on Garageband for quick recording projects, basic audio editing, and EQ adjustments to audio files.
The new interface is very pretty. For those users of Garageband who use the app for only loops and composing with the midi stuff, this is a good step forward. The app is generally more easy to use and approachable for those uses, plus, the virtual drummers really do work well. Unfortunately, for those of us who work with recording real audio or any adjustments to audio files, the app needs some features restored.
First, EQ adjustments are far less intuitive and fine-grained than they once were. The EQ tool is much more buried and, unfortunately, only lets you adjust the overal EQ curve, not individual frequencies. It is vital to your musicians that we get the frequency-specific mode back! Additionally, Garageband no longer lets you have an open window with no tracks. This is rather unreasonable, makes no sense, and is just annoying to work around. Not all users are making a live recording or using the virtual instruments, some of us work with importing audio files into our projects. Finally, many of the audio adjustment tools such as compression, gain, custom reverb, and custom sound environments are either removed or are too buried for me to find!
Those are my biggest gripes. If Apple can restore the missing features and fix the annoyances listed, I would be much happier.
GB 10.0.1 vs GB 11
First of all I’m a guitarist not a keyboardist so please weight my review from that angle. This is the 3rd iteration of GB that I’ve experienced. I use a tube head connected to a Palmer PDI-03 load box / speaker emulator which in turn connects to my audio interface and subsequently GB. This arrangement worked very well with GB 11 but I found it beyond my ability (or perhaps GB 10.0.1’s ability) to accomplish this without coloring the sound with one of the current GB’s software amps. Furthermore, I also use Toontrack’s Superior Drummer Plug-in. While several other previously installed Plug-in’s appeared in the new GB I was not able to access Superior Drummer nor did I want to waste my time reloading and re-initializing it. After all the reason I choose to use GB in the first place is that, among other things, it’s always been reasonably easy to quickly and efficiently document an idea. I think the current GB would be well suited for a keyboardist or vocalist, or someone that wants to create Electronic music. It would also be great for the guitarist that’s comfortable using software amps or possibly those that prefer to mic their instruments. It is, however, not for me. Luckily for me I found that the current GB is a completely new application and when it’s downloaded it stores the previous GB 11 in a dedicated folder. I was able to retrieve it and all is well again.
AWFUL JUST AWFUL DON’T UPDATE
I LOVE Apple and I have an iphone, ipad, apple tv, and MacBook Pro. I recently purchased a new MacBook Pro and I absolutely HATE the new Garageband that came with it. It’s pretty ironic because my old macbook was 7 years old and on the fritz, and I purchased this new notebook mainly for recording music on Garageband. The sounds are awful and generic sounding PLUS they really limited the number of sounds and the quality isn’t too great. I am so upset about this, and am now going to do everything in my power to restore my old version of Garageband on my old laptop so I can still have the great sounds that came with it. Maybe I will look into Pro Tools, I’m really devastated though b/c I love Apple. IF you haven’t updated your Garageband DON’T DO IT. I purchased the additional sounds for $4.99. I transferred a garageband music file I was in the middle or working on from my my old laptop and versino of garageband to this new laptop with the new version, and since the drum kit and piano sounds aren’t on even on this new version of Garageband the song cannot be finished. I will have to finish it from my old laptop with the old version of Garageband. Apple has taken a step down unfortunately. Sorry for the bad review and even sorrier they went this direction :( I am going to try to clean up my old laptop and record on that for now, or maybe if I spend money and buy more sounds it will be better.
- Category: Music
- Updated: Nov 06, 2013
- Version: 10.0.1
- Size: 749 MB
- Languages: English, Catalan, Chinese, Croatian, Czech, Danish, Dutch, Finnish, French, German, Greek, Hungarian, Italian, Japanese, Korean, Norwegian, Polish, Portuguese, Romanian, Russian, Slovak, Spanish, Swedish, Thai, Turkish, Ukrainian
- Seller: Apple Inc.
- © 2004-2013 Apple Inc.
Compatibility: OS X 10.9 or later
Top In-App Purchases
- Complete Set of Content$4.99