Open iTunes to buy and download apps.
Garmin Fit™ - Turn your iPhone into a powerful training tool with the Garmin Fit app. See your current walking, running or cycling stats at a glance, or review them later thanks to automatic uploading to Garmin Connect. It even allows you to select the perfect soundtrack for your workout.
For a small monthly or yearly subscription, you also gain access to the LiveTrack feature, which allows you to send invitations to others via email, Facebook or Twitter*. They’ll receive a link to a website where they can view the position of your mobile device on a map (when configured for outdoor use in the Activity setup menu). Your time elapsed, distance, speed, elevation and more will also be viewable in real time. It’s a handy way for loved ones to track your races or keep an eye on you during your outdoor training.
Garmin fit provides:
- Current speed
- Distance traveled
- Route traveled
- Calories burned
With an optional Garmin ANT+™ Adapter for iPhone, you also can see data from your Garmin fitness sensors. Easily monitor how hard you’re working with a heart rate monitor, train indoors with a foot pod, or receive valuable cycling data with a speed/cadence sensor or power meter.
* Use caution when posting a link via Facebook or Twitter because your link will be available to anyone with access to your Facebook or Twitter profile.
** Continued use of GPS running in the background can dramatically decrease battery life.
What's New in Version 1.6
Bug fixes, support new languages.
Extremely Limiting and Disappointing
I bought the ANT+ receiver for the iphone after my edge 305 finally lost the ability to connect with the computer for downloading and charge the battery. The ANT+ was a fairly cheap option compared to purchasing a new edge for ~$300! The app is very limited in what it can do. Like all the other reviewers stated - there is no ability to upload courses, set heart rate and speed zones with an alarm, set up for different bikes and the worst is that you cannot create your own setup with the information you want displayed. I had to download a non-Garmin app to upload a course and follow it. I used the heart rate zone and alarm all the time and can't now. I can't input different bikes into the program. I have to swipe back and forth to see the 4 items per screen! I had 8 on the edge that I could view at once. Not now. I agree with making the software more powerful on the iphone. The only thing that I can think of as to why Garmin would limit what the software can do is that they want you to dish out ~$300 for a new edge. The edge 305 had many other issues I have not listed, but I won't describe those here. Overall, I'm very disappointed in Garmin and I don't plan on purchasing anything else from them. If you decide to purchase the ANT+ and garmin fit, I would suggest you look for another alternative.
needs to be updated
Where can I start. First I agree--it needs to be upgraded. This app is OK--not great. It would be nice to customize the screen that you view, for example I like to monitor my heart rate and calories burned on the same screen. It might be nice to add 8 fields on the same screen or 6, the screen is certainly big enough. The music function is funky. It could be more intuitive. In order to play a play list on your iPhone you have to select all the songs in that play list. It seems that if I selected the play list to play that it should just play the list---weird. There is no estimation of calories burned on the elliptical or stationary bike if you are indoors even with the ant attached.
I know that Garmin makes their money on GPS devices and maps and iPhone GPS cuts into their business. It feels like this app is a necessary evil and that the app is not tweaked and improved like other fitness apps. I still use the app but I like my Garmin bike gps better while biking and I use my iPhone to listen to music.
This app is useful to help fill in the gaps when I'm not using my Forerunner watch, but there are a few features that would make it a whole lot more useful.
1) Stop detection. My watch does it, so surely this app could as well.
2) This app really doesn't show much information, but wastes a lot of space with a map that I'll never use while biking and music controls(?!). If I want to listen to music, I'll use the music app. Garmin, please take a look at Cyclemeter for a good example.
3) Occasionally I leave the app running too long. I really wish there was a way to truncate a logged activity after a certain amount of time or distance.
4) It appears this app continues to use the GPS in the background even when it's paused, wasting battery for absolutely no reason.
5) The ability to delete log entries seems to be gone. Please bring it back!
- Category: Health & Fitness
- Updated: Jul 17, 2012
- Version: 1.6
- Size: 5.5 MB
- Languages: English, Danish, Finnish, French, German, Italian, Norwegian, Portuguese, Spanish, Swedish
- Seller: Garmin International
- © 2012 Garmin Ltd. or its subsidiaries
Compatibility: Requires iOS 4.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch.
Top In-App Purchases
- Live Track Monthly Subscription$1.99
- LiveTrack Yearly Subscription$19.99