Open iTunes to buy and download apps.
OpenCaching is the official geocaching app for OpenCaching.com, a geocaching community powered by the user, for the user. With this app, you get the full OpenCaching.com experience right in the palm of your hands. Easily find, hide, log and share caches right from your iPhone®.
• Get a friendly introduction to geocaching
• Search for nearby geocaches
• Filter caches based on cache type, difficulty, terrain, size and awesomeness
• See caches right on the map (street map or satellite view)
• Read cache descriptions, logs, and hints
• Navigate to the cache using compass view
• Log caches as “found” right from the app
• Mark caches as “favorites” for easy reference
• Share caches via email or text message
• Access your complete OpenCaching account
• Hide caches from your phone
Search & Start Caching:
Just open the app and click ‘Find Cache’. The nearest caches will automatically appear in street map or satellite view. The handy bulls-eye rating system lets you easily see a cache’s size, ruggedness of terrain, difficulty to find and overall “awesomeness” before you start searching. Simply select a cache that’s right for you and hit 'Go' to begin finding it – compass view will point the way.
Log, Share and Hide Caches:
Log caches the moment you find them using this app, or write up a few quick comments and save it as a draft to come back to later. Share your most spectacular hides and finds with your friends through email or by text message. The app even lets you upload new caches that you hide.
What's New in Version 1.2
- Virtual cache support.
- Additional language support.
- Various bug fixes.
Login problem (still?)
I applaud the goals expressed on the site, but the reality is that too few are using it. Compounding the problem is the issue of log-in problems as expressed by many other reviewers.
My user name and password work fine on the site when accessed using the browser on my iPad, but fails when using this app. The log-in window simply erases the entered information without any indication of what the problem might be. While this might be because it is intended to be used with an iPhone, the app information says it is compatible with iPad. Perhaps it is because my iPad is wi-fi only (I.e., no built-in GPS hardware). I use an eTrex for geocaching,
Easy to use
This is a good app. It works well and is user friendly. I think what people are saying about the app not showing caches that the "other" app shows, is because these are different games. This is OpenCache and will show OpenCache caches only. The other shows caches for that game. More people are playing that one now. The more people come here, there'll be more caches.
Better interface than the groundspeak app
Once opencaching starts to grow and get more caches I see this as becoming the leading app.
Doesn't necessarily have more features than the main geocaching app but it's much simpler.
One huge feature it has others don't is to hide a cache right from your phone
- Category: Navigation
- Updated: Jul 27, 2011
- Version: 1.2
- Size: 4.1 MB
- Languages: English, Czech, French, German, Italian, Portuguese, Spanish
- Seller: Garmin International
- © 2011 Garmin Ltd. or its subsidiaries
Compatibility: Requires iOS 4.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch.