Garmin Smartphone Link
This app is only available on the App Store for iOS devices.
Smartphone Link works with select Bluetooth®-enabled 2012 through 2017 Garmin devices, including:
• DriveSmart, DriveAssist, DriveLuxe
• nüvi 2417, 2467, 2497, 2498, 2517, 2559, 2567, 2577, 2589, 2597, 2598, 2599, 2689, 2699, 2789, 2797, 2798 with Backup Camera, 3597, 3598
• RV 660, 760
• zūmo 590, 595
• dēzl 570, 770
Some of these models require a software update, available at www.garmin.com/myDashboard.
Smartphone Link allows you to connect a compatible Garmin nüvi® and your iPhone®. Once linked, the nüvi uses your existing mobile data plan* to share information with your iPhone, including contacts, search results, favorite locations, your driving destination, and even your parking spot. With Smartphone Link, your nüvi can also access Garmin Live Services** for useful, real-time driving information.
Live Services for Real-Time Information
With Smartphone Link, your nüvi can access Garmin Live Services for up-to-date “live” information that can be useful while driving. Some services are free when you connect to Smartphone Link. Premium content and enhanced features are available through a one-time purchase. All information can be viewed within the app itself, on your iPhone.
Free Live Services include:
• Address sharing - Send locations and online search results from your phone to your nüvi, and navigate there
• Garmin Live Traffic
Avoid delays and find detours with the best-in-class real-time information. Garmin Live Traffic is updated every minute and receives more than 1,000 messages every update cycle
• Weather - View forecasts and current conditions
• Dynamic Off-Street Parking - Find parking close to your destination, including the number of spots available and current cost
• Last Mile - Remembers your parking spot and shows your destination, so you can find your way on foot and back again
Premium Live Services, available for a one-time*** purchase within the app, include:
• photoLive traffic cameras**
Look up live photos from over 10,000 traffic cameras in the U.S. and Canada, to see traffic and weather conditions
• Advanced Weather**
View detailed forecasts, current conditions and animated radar images, plus receive severe weather alerts
* Contact your mobile service provider for more information about your service plan’s data and roaming rates.
** Restrictions apply. Not available in all areas. Subscriptions required.
*** See https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?pID=111441 for terms, conditions and limitations.
Note: Continued use of GPS running in the background can dramatically decrease battery life.
What's New in Version 2.7.0
- iOS 11 adaptations
- Proper map display for users in South Korea
- Miscellaneous bug fixes and improvements
Works Great (well used too) Crash
Used to work. Won't open in last two updates including 26 Sep 17 update.
I use this app with my new 2797. Works great. Many reviewers have devices not listed as compatible. Wake up. It won't work with a non compatible device. Duh. Sends new destination to device from my iPhone instantly. Occasionally if Smartlink hasn't connected to device I open the app on my phone and the link icon instantly appears on the 2797.
I use advanced weather also. Works great for weather radar display. What a great app. So many POIs are not on the GPS but found in Google. This is such an easy way to send that poi to your gps expanding your data base. Couldn't live without this app now that I've used it. The latest update really works well and the interface is much better.
The interface is horrible. Map density icons all look identical with the exception of the red boardered ones. There's no way of knowing the average speeds without selecting it. The legend is a joke. Traffic does not automatically refresh. There is no pull down to refresh and no background refresh functionality. In order for things to update, you must go BACK and then have the traffic refresh. In otherwords, there is no update and sync coordination between the GPS, smartphone, and smartlink. You must manually update.
The Garmin GPS always looks for the link after disconnected even though it's connected to traffic receiver. App has potential but like Garmin support it fails on so many levels.
One would think with standalone GPS use declining Garmin would try to ensure they're outstanding at every level. But no, even Garmin customer service is becoming very poor with incomplete or inaccurate information.
I feel Garmin's days are numbered...they will likely abandon consumer GPS and focus on marine and other commercial markets.
Total joke app
As a network engineer and app development team member I can clearly say these apps are worthless. "Fails to connect" 1 in every two times you try to use it. Super slow traffic. I get much better results from just using HD traffic. Weather is little use since it rarely functions. HD weather works better. Radar is slow but that would be tolerable if it worked better than half the time. I wish I could Smartphone Link my $5 back. Garmin should be ashamed.
- Category: Navigation
- Updated: Sep 26, 2017
- Version: 2.7.0
- Size: 49.7 MB
- Languages: English, Afrikaans, Arabic, Czech, Danish, Dutch, Finnish, French, German, Greek, Indonesian, Italian, Korean, Norwegian Bokmål, Polish, Portuguese, Russian, Simplified Chinese, Spanish, Swedish, Thai, Traditional Chinese
- Seller: Garmin International
- © Garmin International, Inc. 2016
Compatibility: Requires iOS 9.3 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch.
Top In-App Purchases
- Advanced Weather (North America)$4.99
- photoLive (United States)$4.99
- Advanced Weather$5.99
- Dynamic Off-Street Parking$5.99
- Safety Cameras (Australia and New Zealand)$9.99
- photoLive (Europe)$5.99