Free up tons of disk space with Gemini 2. It finds duplicate and similar files in every corner of your Mac, including Photos, iTunes, and even external drives. And with the Smart Selection algorithm, you can trust Gemini to remove duplicates correctly and safely.
Gemini 2: The Duplicate File Finder is brought to you by the team behind CleanMyMac 3. Removing clutter and recovering disk space are our specialty, so we made a duplicate cleaner that does both like a pro. Get yourself Gemini 2 and you will...
Free up gigabytes of storage space:
* Find duplicate files of any kind: pics, music, docs, you name it
* Identify duplicate folders, too
* Delete duplicates on external drives and network volumes
* Remove duplicates in cloud storage like Google Drive and Dropbox
Organize your music and photos:
* Find duplicate photos in your Photos library
* Detect pictures that are similar, but not identical
* Spot iTunes duplicates
* Find similar music in iTunes (files that differ only by format or bit rate)
Save time picking out duplicate files:
* Trust Gemini to autoselect the copies and keep the originals intact
* See how similar files differ with the help of handy icons
* Add your own Smart Selection rules, like deleting the duplicates that are older
Never lose an important file by mistake:
* If you removed the wrong duplicate, put it back in a click
* Exclude certain files and folders from scan
* Move duplicates to a separate folder or onto a USB drive
* Replace copies with hardlinks to save space without deleting the files
Make finding duplicates less of a drag:
* Enjoy the sleek space-themed design
* Have fun with wacky achievements and ranks
* See if you can spot the Easter Egg!
And if you’re wondering what tech reviews say about Gemini 2, wonder no more: we’ve gathered some of them below.
“I’ve been an active user of MacPaw’s Gemini software since its inception, and Gemini 2’s release today has made me fall in love with it all over again. In just the initial scan, Gemini 2 found more files and more places where I could intelligently clear and save space on my Mac.”
“If you want to clean up your Mac, but are trepidatious about digging around in your files and accidentally deleting something important, Gemini 2 has a lot to offer and makes the whole process very simple.”
“With Gemini 2 there’s little reason to fear duplicates. It has a polished, intuitive user interface and the brains to differentiate copies from originals by testing them against nearly a dozen different parameters. It’s also much faster, especially compared to digging through thousands of files and folders the old-fashioned way.”
This update is dedicated to Photos Library scan and clean improvements. Both scan and clean processes of Photos app are now performed with more stability and accuracy.
Ratings and Reviews
This is by far the most intuitive and slick duplicate finder I've seen
There isnt much to say about this app other than the fact that it works as advertised (with crashes only happening when I overrode the automatic file size selection within the application preferences). Other duplicate finders I've tried (I've tried at least 8-10) either make it too difficult to select files quickly or make it difficult to figure out exactly what a file is. For example, all you have to do is press the space bbar to select duplicates and when you're sifting through hundreds if not thousands of duplicate photos (or other files) that can really make a difference in the usability of the app. The previews the app pulls up for photos specifically are extremely helpful in determining if a photo is actually a duplicate. I've also never seen integration with the photos app so well executed. There is the ability to tell the app to have a selection bias leaning towards photos that have been favorited, newer photos, larger photos (usually duplicates are the same size, or even more commonly they're smaller), and more I'm not gonna list is something I've found useful that no other app I've tried offers. If you're stuck with thousands of duplicates (especially photos, this app works especially well for duplicate photos and videos) I can't imagine anyone who'd be disappointed with this application.
Great at finding duplicates and similars!
I just got rid of over 30G of duplicate files, some of which have been floating around for a decade or more. I found the interface fairly easy to use (though at times got a little mixed up and had to remind myself to select the one I want to DELETE, not KEEP!) It’s great at identifying duplicates… but don’t expect it to be 100% spot on. I did have to make some manual changes after the scan, and that did take a little time, but far LESS time than making a manual comparison to all files scattered across three hard drives. I would recommend always, ALWAYS, visually inspecting all matches before deleting. One thing I wish it would do, for when it finds duplicates scattered between two folders, is remember which folder you kept them in (much like it remembers whether you prefer older or newer, higher or lower resolution (or bitrate)). It’s probably a little bit more complex an algorithm to track, so I understand why it’s not part of the patterns it can detect. Also, it would be nice if it could flag any folders that were rendered empty after a purge, but I understand that, too, is probably above and beyond.
Great… but some crashes for large data scans
I was an owner/fan of Gemini vers 1.0 and have recently purchased this version as well. Despite the feedback below, I think its probably the best application for what it does.
Here’s what I think works really well, and what I think not so much:
- The duplicate detection is spot on. I’m always paranoid about it not actually selecting duplicate files. More often than not I trust but verify. I’ve never had it screw up the duplicate finding.
- The scanning works quickly.
- I’m enjoying the smart behavioral selection feature.
The Not so Well:
- It may be because I have a LOT of files to sort through, but the app crashes a lot with big scans (>50GB duplicates?).
- Its very slow sorting through those big scans.
- Its tedious to review findings. When sorting I can’t select multiple files within a file set. i.e. if it finds multiple versions of a particular file, and want to manually select or unselect for removal. It has to happen one at a time, and there’s a delay for each one.
- I love I can export detected duplicates to a text file, but I can’t actually bring those back into the application to re-process. If there’s a crash it doesn’t always remember my previous selections, and this file export requires me to use another tool to process and remove.
- MacPaw Inc.
- 37.1 MB
- OS X 10.10 or later, 64-bit processor
- English, Dutch, French, German, Italian, Japanese, Polish, Portuguese, Russian, Simplified Chinese, Spanish, Ukrainian
- Age Rating
- Rated 4+
- © MacPaw Inc.
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.