By Portable Databases
Open the Mac App Store to buy and download apps.
General DB is great for recording information quickly and flexibly into a modern, no-frills database.
General DB lets you edit data in your database as if it were a spreadsheet, and you can open multiple databases at once and copy-and-paste data or drag-and-drop tables between them.
Some valuable features:
Open Multiple Database Windows:
For dragging and dropping tables, or copying and pasting rows
Lets you edit individual cells, or copy and paste selected cells to another app
Good for postcards, stickers, envelopes, and forms
Copy and Paste Rows:
Copy and paste selected rows or cells to another database or app. Drag and drop tables between databases.
Import and Export Rows:
From CSV, tab-delimited, or pipe-delimited files
Execute SQL and make favorites
Designed for both casual users and power users, General DB can be used as a replacement for some spreadsheet tasks, or as a staging system for larger database systems, or for publishing data sets to iOS devices using the Private DB app, or for many other tasks.
Some example uses:
Say you have a bottle collection, and you want to keep up with what you have. You could make a table with these fields: Date Acquired, Bottle Type, Bottle Origin, Shape, Notes. Then whenever you add a new bottle to your collection, you can add a row to the table describing it.
If you want to track visits to different vacation sites, you can make a table with fields for the Date Visited, Location, Description, and Attraction. As you visit the sites, you can add corresponding rows to your table.
After you add rows to your tables, they will be:
Many apps are too specific to a subject, but General DB is flexible enough to handle many, many needs, such as:
- Customer info
- Membership lists
- Tracking Logs
- and many more !
No database knowledge is required to use this app, but you will pick some up as you go!
Distribute databases to either General DB for the iPhone and iPad, or the free Private DB!
For power users:
General DB allows easy data entry into a full-fledged SQLite database. To do so, it enhances it with field types.
The field types allowed are Text, Number, Date, Time, Duration, Location, Photo, Barcode, and custom picker types. There are convenient buttons next to some fields for easier input.
For administrators or IT manager, you can create a master database of reference information that you don't want your users to modify. This master database can be published on the internet and either the Private DB app or General DB can download and view it.
Some more powerful features:
- Import text files into tables
- Execute SQL
- Custom picker types to select values from a list
- SQL templates for tables
- Add SQL statements to your Favorites
- See and execute past SQL in the History
- Create views as JOINs of 2 or more tables for relational capabilities
- Export selected rows from your tables to a file
- Create databases
- And much more!
What's New in Version 4.6
NOTE: This is a major release. If you have critical databases, you MUST back them up before installing this update. To back them up, use Time Machine or backup your database and image files manually.
- Big improvements to printing, with a new interface and the ability to change fonts for fields!
- Add a table with the contents of the Clipboard
- More options in the app Preferences for the number of fields or rows shown
- "Paste by Adding Rows" menu item has been renamed to "Add Rows from Clipboard"
- Transform a table in the Clipboard Contents window (exchange rows and columns)
- Web Browser Bookmarks and Picker Types are now separate windows so they can be resized and moved out of the way
- Bug fixes and improvements
- Category: Business
- Updated: May 16, 2016
- Version: 4.6
- Size: 5.9 MB
- Language: English
- Seller: Portable Databases
- © 2012 Portable Databases
Compatibility: OS X 10.10 or later, 64-bit processor