General MIDI Player
By Defective Records Software
Open the Mac App Store to buy and download apps.
General MIDI Player is an easy way to turn your Mac into an instrument, using its built-in General MIDI support. You can play these instruments using either your mouse, computer keyboard (including support for non-US keyboards), or MIDI device (both hardware and software MIDI devices supported). It has a simple, one-screen interface, that will let you start making music with your favorite General MIDI instrument in seconds!
PLEASE NOTE - This application is NOT a General MIDI *file* player!
What's New in Version 1.4
• Added ability to scale application size smaller or larger
• Fixed bug in which external MIDI data on channels other than 1 would not respect which instrument had been selected for playback
Simple, effective, inexpensive MIDI Player
This is an excellent little program if you just need to play sounds on your computer
1) mouse on screen keyboard
2) MIDI controller keyboard input
3) computer keyboard
The interface is VERY simple, so it’s incredibly useful in just getting your
MIDI controller up and running. I had problems with other music programs —
they have complicated interfaces with buried, obscure settings
and I could not get the computer to recognize
my little MIDI keyboard (LPK25) in order to play sounds.
If you can’t get the hardware to produce a sound at all,
you can’t get off the ground, and it’s very frustrating.
For playing MIDI files or composing, editing, and playing MIDI files from MIDI keyboard
I recommend Aria Maestosa.
Make sure you
1) choose the right MIDI channel (if “any” doesn’t work, try 1)
2) sound output(click on speaker icon below Output) is turned on (OFF is the default — I would suggest that ON be the default)
How about “Half of a MIDI player?"
Any MIDI player I ever heard of would allow a person to input MIDI (.mid) files and play back the music. This one does not even do that. It is usless. If you can’t create or playback MIDI files, then it cannot rightfully be called a MIDI player.