Geocaching is a worldwide game of hiding and seeking treasure.
A multi-cache involves two or more locations. Clues guide the geocacher from location to location. Sometimes these clues involve a puzzle, some calculations (e.g. on text or using roman numbers) or projecting a new waypoint using distances and bearings. Sometimes the calculations are easy, but this toolkit can help when calculations become tedious while out there in the field.
This geocaching toolkit can help you using the following features:
- Conversion of degrees, minutes and seconds to other formats
- Conversion between WGS84 and UTM coordinates
- For my Dutch friends the RD coordinates are included
- Also the Swiss grid is supported
- Show the entered Latitude/Longitude using the iPhone map application
- Project a waypoint by specifying distance and bearing
- Calculate distance and bearing between two waypoints
- Intersect two lines using two waypoints and bearings
- Intersect two circles using two waypoints and distances
- Calculate the sum of the character values in one or more words
- Choose between a=1, b=2 etc., the inverse a=26, b=25 etc. or the phonepad abc=2, def=3 etc.
- Also calculate the sum of all digits of the result
- Repeat summation of digits until 1 digit remains
- Decrypt encrypted hint text to plain text
- Convert between roman numbers and decimal values and vice versa
Fixed: ä = 27, ö = 28, ü = 29, ß = 30.
Ratings and Reviews
Super simple to get bearings and distances. Have had this for a little while and haven’t explored the other features, but it’s worth it to me just for the simple projection capability.
Has some features good for puzzle caches. Would be nice if user would just paste coordinate result into field rather than fill multiple fields one by one. Also doesnt "resume" cleanly when switching between apps. Anyway, keep in on the phone for those times when you're racking your brain trying to work out text puzzles or converting coordinates or adding a direction and distance to existing coordinates.
Saved us from having to come back home yesterday on a multi-stage cache. There's a small glitch where W keeps switching to E while entering coordinates, but I'm still giving 5 stars due to the sheer awesomeness of the developer giving this to us for free. Better than many pay apps.
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.