By Integrity Logic
Open iTunes to buy and download apps.
UPGRADE PROBLEMS: some people have reported problems with the latest upgrade, this can be solved by deleting the app from the iPhone/iPod and reinstalling it.
"The ultimate app for Geography/Geology amateurs and professionals."
- Mel Martin, TUAW.com
"the richly annotated geologic map apps by Integrity Logic for California, New York and several other states are great successes in my book."
- Andrew Alden, About.com Guide to Geology
What if you could have all of California in the palm of your hand?
Geology CA is the edition of the popular GIS (geographic information system) covering the state of California. It is a self-contained application (no Internet or cellular access required) that contains a vast amount of information about the geology and geography of California.
Using the iPhone's GPS, it enables you to navigate the state and get a much better understanding of your surroundings, identify geological formations, mines, quarries, rivers, estimate your current elevation, etc....
Included in this version are 28 layers, which can be combined and re-ordered in any desired way:
- states outlines
- the complete geological map from USGS
- terrain elevation
- bathymetry (ocean depth)
- USGS quadrangles
- plate boundaries
- all earthquakes of magnitude 4.0 and above
- urban areas
- township and range
- roads and major streets
- all train tracks
- all cities and towns
- active mines
- old mines
- potassium/argon dates
- hydrologic units
- seismic hazard
- public lands including Indian lands
- fire history from 2001 to 2008
- UTM zones
- state plane zones
- mineral resources (including prospects and occurrences)
- named features (bays, bridges, summits, falls, etc...)
For more details on these layers, see our web site www.integrity-logic.com/layers
While this is a professional-quality tool, it is easy to use and can be a lot of fun for anyone who likes to better understand the world around them.
What's New in Version 1.2
A few new layers:
- annual precipitation
- ZIP codes
- congressional districts with link to representatives' offices
and direct access to a growing library of downloadable layers, including:
- air districts with links to each district's web site
- airports with links to FAA details page
- bus systems
- city/village boundaries
- elementary, secondary and unified school districts
- FEMA flood maps (premium content)
- geodetic points (63,583 total) with links to details page
- American Indian areas
- land ownership
- landmark areas and points (21,00 total)
- landslide and liquefaction zones (premium content)
- maritime limits
- national parks with links to NPS details pages
- private and state water districts
- railroad crossings (7,740 total) with links to detail pages
- state Senate districts with links to senators' web pages
- state House districts with links to representatives'' web pages
- state parks with links to details pages
- town limits
Bookmarks can now be saved and emailed.
While not a full-featured GIS for the region, it IS a terrific first source for learning about the basic geology. It's also great for getting hard-to-find basic geographic information like county names. For a few bucks you have the resources of a bunch of maps and books AND search capability. The program compiles public databases, so it doesn't always have the detailed information a serious student/researcher would want. But it gets you pointed in the right direction. I found the interface easy to use and mostly problem free. The maker is also easy to reach if you a particular problem or have ideas for improvement.
One of the best apps for the iPhone, period.
The 1.2 update only makes this app even more awesome than it already was. The developers have packed a lot of punch into a pretty small package. With some of the new layers that are now available, this is a seriously usable application, and I say that as a professional geologist. The benchmark layer alone is packed with useful information and having access to township and range information or topographic quadrangle map names is indispensable. Great job, Integrity Logic!
Amazing job making massive GIS databases usable on a 7.5 x 5 mm screen. Good UI, navigation is easy. A few glitches among the ~30 movable layers and pointing somewhat uncertain (like almost all iP***** apps), but on balance, completely appropriate technology for the platform and the scale. Looking forward to the iPad version.
- Category: Reference
- Updated: Feb 03, 2010
- Version: 1.2
- Size: 103 MB
- Language: English
- Seller: Integrity Logic LLC
- © 2010 Integrity Logic LLC
Compatibility: Requires iOS 3.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch.
Top In-App Purchases
- Liquefaction zones for California$0.99
- Landslide zones for California$0.99
- FEMA flood maps for California$4.99