By Integrity Logic
Open iTunes to buy and download apps.
The ultimate app for Geography/Geology amateurs and professionals."
- Mel Martin, TUAW.com
Do you know which state assembly district you are in? Which school district? Where is the closest railroad? Is there a mine nearby? What kind of rock are you sitting on?
Geograph NC is the edition of the popular GIS (geographic information system) covering the state of North Carolina. It is a self-contained application (no Internet or cellular access required) that contains a vast amount of information about the geography and geology of the Tar Heel State. You can combine various data layers, zoom in and out, and get a lot of details about the physical and human geography of North Carolina.
While this is a professional-grade tool, it can easily be used by anyone curious about their environment.
This release contains over 35 layers (new layers are frequently added). Installed by default are:
- states outlines
- the complete geological map from USGS
- surficial materials and faults
- terrain elevation and ocean bathymetry
- zip codes
- over 7,300 named features (summits, tunnels, cliffs, bridges, etc...) with link to USGS information page
- U.S. congressional districts with link to representatives' web sites
- over 5,100 mineral resources with link to USGS web site
- active mines
- public land ownership
- hydrologic units
- EPA ecological regions
- 820 USGS quadrangles
- urban areas
- annual precipitation
- counties with link to census data
- roads and major streets
- railroad tracks
- UTM zones and state plane zones
- main aquifers with link to EPA web site
Layers that can be downloaded from the application include:
- state House districts with link to representatives' web sites
- state Senate districts with link to senators' web sites
- all school districts
- boundaries of cities and villages with link to census data
- town boundaries
- landmark areas (parks, campgrounds, airports, etc...)
- landmark points (schools, hospitals, fire stations, etc...)
- airports with link to FAA data pages for each airport
- over 37,000 geodetic points with link to the National Geodetic Survey details pages
- national park boundaries with link to the National Park Service web page for each park
- railroad crossings with link to details page from the Federal Railroad Administration
Each layer contains additional information about its features. For instance, the geology layer has a description of the unit's name, age range, rock type, and description. Each mine has a name, a commodity, a facility type, and a company name. See our web site for more information about each layer. Layers can be re-ordered and combined with transparency, allowing an unlimited number of combinations.
Moving in the right direction
I think this app is a great tool for amateur and professional geologist working in the field. I have been wanting a cheap, zoom able, GPS-abled, detailed geologic map of NC and this is it. Although its not perfect it is very handy. I like the GIS interface and the extra downloadable layers are included with purchase. There is even some usable information available!
What I don't like is the limited user manipulation and creation of data. Although you can place pins and notes and take measurements, you are unable to use this, otherwise extremely handy app, similar to a normal data logger.
Also, I would say that the precision of the base map for the geologist data is probably a bit too low for accurate use in complicated terrain. Such as the mountains and piedmont. So, about 2/3 of the state. Almost there.
I'm in NC and it's COOL!
I'm a native to Charlotte and have found out amazing things about both the GOLD mines right here in Charlitte as well as well as features that actually impacted my next home purchase and that have enlightened me to flood zones by the many rivers around here! A great app that provides many details that your realtor would never share! Buy your state now! The best small dollars you will spend this year!
Quite entertaining, I have not used it in the field yet, but even just sitting on the couch, it's rather fun to play with. Good set of data layers, excellent execution on the pan/zoom, and good data attached to the layers. I'd wish for the capability to enter notes for specific points, but that's just a minor point.
- Category: Reference
- Released: Jan 31, 2010
- Version: 1.0
- Size: 49.6 MB
- Language: English
- Seller: Integrity Logic LLC
- © 2010 Integrity Logic LLC
Compatibility: Requires iOS 3.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch.