GeoWorld : Learn geography while having fun
By oWorld Software
Open iTunes to buy and download apps.
If you don’t like geography yet, that’s about to change. GeoWorld has been designed for learning in a fun way. What ever your current level may be, you will be able to locate all countries around the world in just a few hours of time.
Learn to locate Oman, Kazakhstan or Macedonia on a map. In the application’s easy mode the correct answer will appear if you get it wrong, but you are on your own in the difficult mode…We guarantee that you will not be disappointed!
The main objective is to have some family based fun; compare your knowledge!
All 198 world countries over 6 continents are represented:
- North America
- South America
Two game modes with different difficulty levels:
- Against the clock: find as many correct answers as you can within 60 seconds
- Find everything: find all correct answers without a set time limit
- French departments and regions
- American states
- 2 game modes
- Discovery : click on a country to discover its name
- Arcade: Find as many correct answers as you can without losing any stars.
Effective, I'm learning a lot
My first two comments echo those of other reviews:
(1) this is what I wanted
(2) The game uses the name Nigeria for both Nigeria and Niger, frustrating to have to guess.
(3) Nice touch for a drill app! He doesn't go through all the items before retrying you on the errors. After you've had some errors, he mixes some retries in with new material. I like this because the errors are still somewhat fresh, and I can learn from them. The obvious way to do drills (hit all items then come back for retries) actually can leave me bewildered with all the unknowns ( as Africa might have done when I first got this app).
I'm a senior--I love geography, but I've forgotten some of the countries I knew as a kid, and a bunch of them have changed!
While I would learn better if I also studied the map occasionally, this simple flash card testing tool was very effective at getting me to learn the countries of Africa.
First time it took over half an hour. Sixth time I think it took less than ten minutes, and I had a much better score.
Yes the tiny countries and especially the islands have very tiny hotspots. (For example, it looks like Gambia can only be separated from Senegal by touching the eastern tip of Gambia.) that, too, is frustrating.
Still, I wanted a visual way to practice reminding myself of geography, and this is it! Five stars from me.
I never write reviews
However I do enjoy this application and wish to see it bettered. Smaller countries are really hard to select. I have to zoom in a lot to select countries like Azores or Cape Verde in Africa. Also one other thing I've noticed about African country is that there is no distinction between Niger and Nigeria. Both are labeled Nigeria. Otherwise, maybe make the touch more smoother. Perhaps allow like a triple click feature to select a country instead of having to click the green check mark. I say that because sometimes as I click the green check mark it accidentally selects another country for me. I know that these are picky details but like I said, I really want to see this app go far. Good luck and thank you developers!
I've never really felt the desire to learn much geography before but this app makes it really easy and a lot of fun. It can be quite challenging and times but the more you play the easier it is to remember. The graphics are nice to look at too. Like some other users I do have the problem where selecting smaller countries is hard to do, a zoom option would be much appreciated.
Customers Also Bought
- Category: Education
- Released: Mar 09, 2013
- Version: 1.0
- Size: 14.5 MB
- Languages: English, French, German, Italian, Spanish
- Seller: oWorld Software
- © oWorld Software
Compatibility: Requires iOS 4.3 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch.
Top In-App Purchases
- - American states$0.99
- 2 new game modes : Discovery and Arcade$0.99
- - French departments and regions$0.99