German Dictionary & Translator +
By Ascendo Inc.
Open iTunes to buy and download apps.
The #1 German Dictionary & Translator for iPhone, iPad & iPod Touch - Offline Dictionary with over 628,000 Entries - Phrase Translator - Comprehensive Phrasebook - Verb Conjugator - Vocabulary Quizzes - Offline Audio Pronunciation - Universal Application
Selected by Apple as "What's Hot" in over 40 countries.
“This app packs an undeniable allure for travelers.” - iPhone App Review
* * * * * “Superb Dictionary! I live and work in Germany and speak the language well, but I still need a dictionary at times. This app is constantly with me on my iPod and is a superb piece of work... Highly recommended!”
* * * * * “Has replaced my dictionary! This dictionary is so extensive and fast that we went on our trip without a dictionary or phrasebook.”
* * * * * “Conjugations & More. This is one ‘Smart’ App for on the go study as well, don't leave home without it, worth every cent!”
* * * * * “The Only German English Dictionary You'll Need. It's great for quick word look up and translation. But it's also a companion for learning the language.”
* * * * * “Brilliant App. This app is a wonderful tool for both casual tourists and students of German alike.”
German Dictionary & Translator + by VidaLingua transforms your iPhone, iPad or iPod Touch into an advanced language translator, always ready to help. It includes everything you need in one app and features you won’t find anywhere else such as adding notes and images to dictionary entries. Advanced features and extensive content make VidaLingua the most comprehensive German Dictionary & Translator for iPhone, iPad and iPod Touch. Download it now and start learning German or English today!
- German English Dictionary with over 628,000 offline entries.
- Includes translations, usage examples, parts-of-speech and gender of German nouns.
- Compiled and updated by professional linguists.
- Online images for thousands of dictionary entries, tap icon to display.
- Phrase Translator with favorites and history (requires internet, 25.000 characters included, then ad-supported).
- Phrasebook with 20 categories such as Conversation, Asking Directions and Making Friends.
- Conjugations of 6,648 German & English verbs.
- Multiple-choice vocabulary quizzes.
- Offline, text-to-speech pronunciation in German & English.
- Audio settings for speed and accent (US, UK, Australia).
- Single index search for fast lookups in German or English.
- Reverse lookup of words found in dictionary translations.
- Online lookup of additional information.
- Lookup History.
- Add your own phrases to the phrase book.
- Email dictionary entries to friends.
- Universal app which can be installed on 5 iOS devices.
- Numerous enhancements for iPads.
- Add notes and images to dictionary entries.
- Record yourself saying a word and compare it with in-app pronunciation.
Language is living! Only VidaLingua allows you to add notes, images, phrases and audio to create an engaging learning companion.
Comments & questions are welcome.
VidaLingua, bringing language apps to life! ©
VidaLingua is an Ascendo brand.
Tags : Wörterbuch, Englisch, Deutsch, Übersetzung, Übersetzer, Phrasen, Konjugation, Verben
What's New in Version 6.2.71
- Added Translator feature to translate complete sentences. Please note; the Quiz feature moved to More… menu lower left.
- Starring translated phrases adds them to My Phrases section of Phrasebook.
- Improved availability of online images for numerous dictionary words. If online image is available an icon will appear beneath the Examples section.
- Integrated phrasebook with dictionary so phrases appear in the Examples sections of dictionary (premium versions).
- Localized user interface for German.
- Implemented alert if user taps word to hear pronunciation and speaker is turned off.
- Improved display of multi-line phrases added to My Phrases category of Phrasebook.
- Improved Suggest Improvement link at bottom of dictionary pages.
- Other bug fixes and enhancements.
If you like free updates, please review our app!
Must-have app if you speak English and German (or are trying to learn). I love that all words from both languages are in one list so you don't need to specify which language you are translating from and to. I like the provided list of common phrases (awesome when you're traveling) and I like how the dictionary entries are cross-linked and clickable so it makes exploring related words a lot easier. I use this app a lot while trying to learn German by listening to German podcasts. One thing that I've noticed that is a bit annoying is that the sound volume of my podcast always drops when I open up the dictionary so sometimes I have to adjust the volume up and down but I'm sure that is an easy fix that will hopefully be done soon.
This app has a nice user interface and lots of bells and whistles. But as a dictionary, it has some serious problems.
1. I purchased this app for $9.99 because it boasts 628,000 offline entries, so I thought it would help me read real German literature. I was planning to use the app while on a plane, so the offline dictionary was key. To test the scope of the dictionary, I looked up the words in the first paragraph of my book. In the first paragraph alone there were 12 words not in the dictionary. The dictionary is simply not useful for reading literature.
2. The dictionary offers full conjugations of German verbs, even verbs that are fully regular. This is a nice feature, especially for beginners. However, the dictionary does not indicate the plural form of German nouns. This is a bizarre omission, as the plural form of German nouns is often unpredictable. While the verb conjugations would make this app useful for beginners, the absence of plural forms make this dictionary a very poor choice for beginners.
The dictionary is too limited for advanced students, and omits information that is critical especially for beginning students. So I could only recommend this app to tourists.
Based on the many wonderful reviews I purchased this tool. On the positive side there are many features offered that seem to work reasonably well. If one only needs a quick and easy tool for searching very common words along with verb endings this might be ok for you. But if you are serious about getting a good German dictionary this isn't it. There are numerous errors in gender, spelling, and translation that make this utility confusing to use. On many occasions I've brought up these errors -- along with the serious omission of noun plurals -- to the authors. Their "canned" response is that they know about it and the next release will fix it. After six months I've never seen a new release.
- Category: Travel
- Updated: Aug 11, 2014
- Version: 6.2.71
- Size: 19.4 MB
- Languages: English, French, German, Italian, Portuguese, Spanish
- Seller: Ascendo Inc.
- © Ascendo Inc.
Compatibility: Requires iOS 6.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch.