Ghostery Privacy Browser
By Ghostery, Inc.
Open iTunes to buy and download apps.
The Ghostery Privacy Browser increases your browsing privacy, protection, and speed.
This is a lightweight, clean browser that gives you the control to make informed decisions about the personal data you share with the trackers on the sites you visit.
Since 2009, industry leader and consumer privacy advocate, Ghostery, Inc., has been dedicated to protecting your, and millions of others’, online privacy.
Ghostery helps protect you while you browse by minimizing 3rd-party access to your data through trackers. And at only 5.6 MB, Ghostery runs a lot lighter than other browser solutions, saving your device battery life.
KEY FEATURES INCLUDE:
- Individual tracker control: Get an instant overview of the trackers on each site you visit, then block or allow trackers you need
- Largest tracker database, with over 2,200 trackers and 4,500 scripts
- One-click disconnect from all trackers
- One-click access to clear your cookies and cache
- Secure searching provided by DuckDuckGo
WHAT ARE TRACKERS?
We live in a connected world. When you browse the web, your data leaves a digital footprint that is connected by tracking technologies that help companies build a profile about you. This profile details how you interact with their sites and those of their competitors, allowing them to optimize communications and site experience to reach you -- and others like you -- at the right place, at the right time.
Ghostery helps you clean up, speed up, and lock down your browsing experience.
What's New in Version 1.5.4
- Bug fixes
- Updated WiFi protection URLs
Quick But Painful to Use
It is a quick little browser. Very minimalistic in look, feel and operation and features.
The main issues I have with it so far(1 days use) are:
1. It appears to block ads but it constantly shows that there are new items blocked and the indication badge won't disappear after looking at the notifications.
2. It crashes often for me usually after typing something into a value box, just as I minimize the keyboard, then upon restart it opens to a totally different tab than it crashed on.
3. I continually get a Cannot Connect error when doing a refresh that is internal to the page, then it won't allow me to go back or anything, I am forced to shut it down manually.
4. It will lock up while using a drop down menu that is supposed to open a small window for you to enter data into.
5. The tabs are not user friendly.
These are just the main issues that have been annoying enough for me to stop using the app and look for an alternative.
It is like the title says. Quick, but painful to use.
Blocks in app ads, tracking on wifi
This is an excellent app that will block ads and online tracking. Highly recommended. To block ads and tracking in apps, you must use the wifi protection feature and configure it separately for each wifi network you connect to. Simple instructions in the app.
Latest version fixes the wifi protection problems, so thank you developers for the fixes.
I seriously question the privacy of this browser. It appears to be storing rather large amounts of data within the app. Even after repeatedly clearing the browser's cookies and cache—there seems to be no way of clearing search history—the app's footprint had almost tripled in size with only a half-dozen search sessions on the clock. Exactly what data is being collected and stored, and to what purpose?
- Category: Utilities
- Updated: Apr 19, 2017
- Version: 1.5.4
- Size: 21.1 MB
- Languages: English, Dutch, French, German, Italian, Japanese, Korean, Polish, Russian, Simplified Chinese, Spanish, Traditional Chinese
- Seller: Ghostery, Inc.
- © 2017 Ghostery, Inc.
Compatibility: Requires iOS 8.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch.