GIF Brewery by Gfycat gives everyone the power to create stunning GIFs from video files. It’s simple, powerful, intuitive to use--and now it’s free.
START WITH A VIDEO
• Make a screen recording
• Record from your webcam or iOS device
• Import a video file
EDIT LIKE A PRO
• Resize and crop video
• Set desired frame rate, or manually set frame count and frame delay
• Apply image filters like Color Correction or famous photo filters like Transfer and Noir
• Add multiple captions or overlay images
SAVE AND SHARE
• Easily save to your computer, share to iMessage or Mail
• NEW: GIF Brewery now enables easy in-app uploading to Gfycat!
Praise for previous GIF Brewery releases:
• 9to5Mac: "GIF Brewery 3 brings a polished animated GIF-creating experience to the Mac"
• MacWorld: 4/5, "GIF Brewery makes it a snap to convert video files into animated GIFs."
• Mac.AppStorm: 9/10, "A great app to create your own customizable animated GIFs."
• The Verge mention: "For OS X, we’ve been having fun with GIF Brewery ... It’s simple, intuitive"
• Buzzfeed article: "... impress your friends and win the hearts of many with your GIF-making prowess!"
* Disabled shadow on recording window while recording. This should prevent potentially visible shadows in recordings.
* Fix issue with saving GIFs to external HDD.
Ratings and Reviews
When it works, it’s amazing...
… but it can be really unstable when trying to use any of the editing functions. This program beachballs so often for me, and I can never seem to reproduce the circumstances that make it angry! I’ve gone to the support forums and can’t seem to figure out what would cause it to sometimes work like an absolute dream, and other times be completely unusable. It just seems like sometimes it’s feeling up to the task of making a gif and sometimes not. I mean, I have my ups and downs too. The controls and interface are great and straightforward, and the ways you can tweak and edit gifs are really granular and useful. When it decides not to beachball, it is a wonderful program. But sometimes, even after multiple restarts, after closing other programs, after restarting the computer even... I just have to give up on making gifs and hope GIF Brewery is feeling better later :/
Best and Most Powerful way to make GIFs
I am a video editor and occationally clients was GIFs of shots or sections to share. GIF Brewery is easy to just stick in a video clip and get something quick but it is also the most powerful to tweak settings and fine tune.
The biggest problem with GIFs is they get huge fast and the way to shrink them is resize the video or reduce the colors used. GIF Brewery has a great way to step down the colors used one by one until the size and quality trade offs are acceptable.
The only problem is the time it takes to make the GIFs. Some parts of the creation process are multi threaded but some parts are not. If you are trying to optimize and going through the creation process over and over that part kind of drags. The creation of the GIF maxes out my iMac but the color checking phase runs at 1/8 of max.
Much better than online alternatives
I’ve been looking for a Mac app like this for a while… Previously, I used online tools to resize and convert .mov/.mp4 files into GIFs. When I attempted to reduce the filesize of GIFs outputted by these means, the quality was always terrible. That’s not the case with this tool. I am getting much better results. Better yet, I have way more control over the outputted GIF, and the conversion is much faster. I love this free tool!
- GfyCat Inc.
- 4.9 MB
- OS X 10.11 or later, 64-bit processor
- Age Rating
- Rated 12+ for the following:
- Infrequent/Mild Alcohol, Tobacco, or Drug Use or References
- © 2018 Gfycat, Inc.
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.