Premier field collection and data viewer for iPhone and iPad.
GIS Pro is the enterprise version of a two part app suite for mobile GIS users. GIS Kit ($99) is geared toward individual users whereas GIS Pro ($299) is capable of some more advanced, collaborative features that are typical of an enterprise environment (see list below).
FEATURES IN GIS KIT & GIS PRO
- No desktop GIS software required.
- No prior GIS training required.
- Completely offline capable.
- Cache (download) open source topographic maps, street maps and satellite imagery straight from device.
- Import ESRI Shapefiles and KML/KMZ files including attributes.
- Attribute/form fields include: Alphanumeric (Description), Photos, numerical values, user defined list of values, addresses, websites, date & time, telephone number, check box.
- Easily collect new point, line, and polygon features in the field by GPS or drawing manually.
- Enter attribute values for each feature and/or add new attribute types at time of collection.
- Create templates of user defined feature classes with custom attributes.
- Comes loaded with numerous example feature templates for professional use in Forestry, Wetland Delineation, Stream Surveys, and Real Estate.
- Import and export data wirelessly by email. Larger data sets can be imported/exported by connecting to any computer with itunes.
- Filter the GPS based data collection by controlling the amount of GPS points by distance, time or accuracy
- Organize by projects and layers
- Best-in-class performance. Tested on iPad 2 with over 1 million point features!
FEATURES ONLY IN GIS PRO
- Raster imagery import & export (GeoTIFF, Worldfile, KML, and even non-spatially referenced images can be imported with in-app 3-point registration)
- Export Shapefiles and CSV files via email or USB with iTunes
- Export, share, and import custom feature class templates with other devices used by your team so there are no conflicts with your features and their attributes.
- Basic WMS for additional basemap options
- Easily convert Shapefiles to KMZ files and vice versa
Documentation and videos can be found using the support link.
Please note that a separate license is required for each user or each device that is used by multiple users. See http://www.apple.com/legal/itunes/us/terms.html for details. Also see http://www.apple.com/business/vpp for information on purchasing in volume.
Continued use of GPS running in the background can dramatically decrease battery life.
- Fixed major crash issue introduced in last release
Ratings and Reviews
I have been using the app, if I remember correctly, from 2012. Initially, when I purchase the app, I needed something to develop routs, offline imagery capability and export final product to KML ability. This app has performed flawlessly, beyond expectations, from day one and every day of using it. In my opinion, the tool like this is well worth the money that the developer is asking. Honestly, I would pay over 1000$ for the app.
Good! but too expensive!
This is an incredibly useful tool for mapping, navigating and collecting data in the field. We used this program to map erosion and landslide hazards along a 600 mile utility alignment in remote parts of the United States. We were able to upload the utility alignment before our trip and cache the satellite images for several miles on either side of the alignment, so that we could still navigate and zoom in on features in the field. The points that are part of the program are very applicable and useful, but also adding points to feature classes when needed is very simple and fast. We were able to walk the perimeter of landslides using the polygon feature and then collect information such as scarp dimensions, slope inclination, direction of movement, etc. All the collected information is then saved together for that point. It is also convenient to be able to take photographs in the same location that you collect data. The quality of the photos turned out well. Once we were back in the office, we downloaded the data directly to Google Earth. We were then able to email kmz files to the client with our data. This saved hours of GIS time in the office. The Otterbox cover is durable and protected the iPad during use. Overall, we were very happy with the capabilities of this app and will be using it for all our future mapping projects.
- Garafa, LLC
- 29.2 MB
- Requires iOS 9.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch.
- English, Spanish, Traditional Chinese
- Age Rating
- You must be at least 17 years old to download this app.
- Frequent/Intense Mature/Suggestive Themes
- This app may use your location even when it isn't open, which can decrease battery life.
- © 2014 Garafa, LLC
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.